Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Brougham Horn Install

Another Brougham Horn Install

Well the Paddlenbike Santa visited right before Christmas bearing gifts. Who cares about the naughty or nice list I was on the jealous list. Right after I took delivery I headed to Home Depot for my weekly visit. While there I took a spin down the paint isle, this is what I was after.

After a little work, I made a big mess. Chrome spray paint is something else to work with. Having a highlander 4Runner means I have no chrome from the factory. Since I was adding some genuine Caddy parts I felt I needed to bling it up a bit.

Next was finding a place to put these bad boys. Not only are there 4 of them but they are bigger and much heavier than the little toy stock ones. Found this after digging through my steel pile.

To join this beautiful piece to my AC-Delco goodness I had to beef up the fasteners. I don't want one of these shaking loose and taking out a piece of my radiator or drive train. I stuck with the American theme so the threads are still standard, just bigger.

After some heavy 12 gauge wiring it's ready to go in. I went with 12g because these things can pull some amps and I don't want any issues other than loud. I still need to mount the bar (behind the front bumper) and wire in a fuse (big) and relay then it's game on.

Hopefully after tomorrow I'll have all the little parts then I need to find some time to put them in.

Re: Another Brougham Horn Install

LOL. Chrome.

For anyone that has not heard these horns, listen in.
    It's a Truck, It's a Train, It's a Cadillac Eldorado! 1985 Biarritz

Oh yeah, I'm jealous now! How much did those run ya? LOL at the chrome haha
    My signature

I've seen them on ebay for ~$60-$80 for a set, but this thread reminded me it was on my list for awhile. Since I have off on Monday, it looks like a Pick-N-Pull trip may be called for. If I find more than one set, I'll post up . . .
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I got hooked up so Ken will let you know how much they cost. To get the true sound and status you need to get the 4 notes. I believe the 2 notes are most common but 4 notes is where it's at. It's 8:45 right now but like every night there is never enough time. We'll see if I can't make it out there.

Pick n Pull charges $4.99 per horn whether its a 3-ounce Toyota horn or a 6-pound Cadillac horn. The trumpet horn package has an A-note, C-note, D-note and F-note. There are letters marking the note near the horn opening. Just look for the biggest Cadillac in the yard and it has the highest chance of having the 4-note option.

EDIT--I just remembered that I snapped a pic of the Brougham that donated my horns to the 4Runner.

Isn't she a looker?

Well let me tell you. At 10 pm these horns make the neighbors dog bark like crazy.

Everything mounted up well and solid, wiring was straight forward and everything is nice and clean. I even trimmed everything up and added some grommets. My test ride was a little short because it's late and I realized I was driving around making a racket without my wallet.

All in all I'm very pleased and hope to post some video one day. For my neighbors sake I'll have to find an open field away from civilization.

I've been out of town all weekend without the 4runner so I don't have any video but I did snap an installed pic. The horns are loud and stately so of course I like them. The wife has heard them and all I've gotten out of her is that they are loud.

This is what you can see through the lower valance.

Good job and thanks again for reminding me about this. I picked up a set at the local Pick-N-Pull today from a Buick Park Avenue. They look identical to the pics you have posted above and are indeed loud. I haven't heard them together yet, I only tested one at a time before I left the JY parking lot. Tomorrow if work is slow I'll probably figure out mounting

Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Nice. Pick n Pull is fun.

I found this for the commuter car...I want to see how many days it lasts before someone steals the badge:

...or I will remove it next week when I get tired of how tacky it looks, even on a beater car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast