Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Rear Drive Shaft 96 4runner

Replacing Rear Drive Shaft 96 4runner

I have a 96 4runner with lots of mileage on it. I need to replace the rear drive shaft. I am hoping that the yoke coming from the transmission is a slip yoke and I can just pull it out with my hands. Am I right? If so, I have been trying, with no success. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, need to fix it on a tight budget.

Re: Replacing Rear Drive Shaft 96 4runner

from the tcase or trans, unbolt flange (4 bolts) and at the pinion (opposite end). spray pb blaster on the flanges, let sit and then tap with a hammer. should pop off. may be easier to detach the pinion end first.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Like Sean said, undo the bolts at each end. Might take a smack with a dead blow but watch your head for when it falls.

Is this a 2wd or 4wd? Why does the shaft need to be replaced? Or is it just the u-joints that need servicing?

It is two wheel drive, I have lost my leverage because the u joint blew up and the drive shaft is no longer attached. There is not a lot left to the yoke to grab onto, so it is hard to pull out. Thank you for confirming that it should pull out. A mechanic friend is on his way over with some more helpful tools. I will let you know. I will try to post a picture of my stupid mistake.

there is really nothing to pull out. the flanges mate together, the dshaft has a low, male taper in the center (to center it to the flange coming off the transmission).

if the ujoint broke just behind the flange, hit what is left of the joint with a hammer. it may require a fair bit of force, especially if there is corrosion on the mating surfaces.

it sounds like you believe the shaft coming out from the transmission comes out. it does not (easily anyway). there is no slip yoke on that end of the dshaft. it seperates at the flange.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

It should use/have a splined/slipyoke on auto 2WD trans, My books show it for all other them manual or 4WD

really?!

i lost my FSM's in the great crash of '11, but i remember taking parts off of a 2wd 99+ in the junkyard, thought i saw the same connection as mine.

if not, then the splines are likely alot like the front diff ones, just pry it out with a prybar. it should have a metal expansion ring that needs to be forced closed to pull out, not hard to do though.

We got it out! It was a slip yoke, no clips, it was just a very tight fitting slip yoke! Now, trying to find a new used one, or maybe seeing if I can get mine refurbished. Anyone suggest a good place to find junkyard parts. I have already hit up LKQ.com

where are you located? local pick n pulls should have a 4runner or two, or look up on www.car-part.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast