Thread: PullPal Repair and Modifications

PullPal Repair and Modifications

Back in the summer, I managed to break my PullPal. It was my fault, and not really the fault of the product. I was using it for something unintended. However, there are a few weak points in the pullpal.

This thread is here to describe what I did to fix it, and make it better. I talked (in person) to the owners, and they offered to fix it if I sent it to them. This was, unfortunately, cost prohibitive. I decided I could fix it myself with items I have available to me.

The failure occured in the small bolt that is used on the strut pivot. When that sheared, the plow took a different path from the connection to the winch line. this caused the top main pivot to twist horribly before I realized what had happened.

Here is the aftermath:

Finally, I've found the time to fix it.

Better pictures of the plow beam damage:

Continued on next post...
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 06:19 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: PullPal Repair and Modifications

The ears were carefully cut off:

The best one was flattened with a hammer to make a template:

The original ears were only 1/8" thick. I made two new ones, with a modified weld line, out of 3/16". They were tacked into place:

I also replaced the ears on the other beam, they were much simpler and I didn't get pictures of those.

Next post for the conclusion!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 04:41 PM.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Everything was tacked into place and once proper geometry was assured, it was welded up!

That is as far as I got today. I will be replacing all of the hardware, with at least grade 8 bolts. I am considering 9, but i think the steel would fail long before the bolt will.

As far as modifications go, I will be boxing in a significant portion of the area that previously twisted itself apart. A mod for another day...

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Good job man

I feel like something's missing though . . . I thought every thread involving you and a welder had to have a can of Dr.P in it somewhere.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    Good job man

I feel like something's missing though . . . I thought every thread involving you and a welder had to have a can of Dr.P in it somewhere.
    i quit... it's been hard. now i just walk around with either iced tea strong enough to take the paint off a car, or ice water...

i didnt put it in the first post, but some of the weak links of the pullpal are: the unboxed ears, they fold easily! also, the bolt holes should be sleeved, and the sheer should never be applied to the threaded parts of the bolt. i know that is somewhat impractical to do, but this was the mode of failure.

i know someone is dieing to ask how i broke it. i was pulling bushes out of the back yard and used it to reverse direction with a snatch block. i dont think i exceeded the rating of the unit, but the pullpal caught a rock underground and pulled sideways. again, my fault, and i take full responsibility for it breaking. i have yet to hear of another one failing, and the owners of the business were shocked to hear it failed as well.

So now to the modifications.

I didn't take any pictures of the process, but here is the result (still needs paint)

basically I boxed in what i could to strengthen the ears against folding.

I could go further and sleeve all of the joints, and use pins instead of bolts, but I think this will do just fine.

I sprayed the rusty bits with a rust converter. It's suppose to rain tomorrow, so I'll try to paint it Sunday or next week if it is warm enough.

Trying to figure out a way to mount it on my bumper, and it's such an odd shape I'm having a hard time with that. I will figure out something though...

Also, in the second picture, you can see the sweet bi-fold gate I built last summer! It's covered in tile dust right now.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Looking good. That thing looks bomber.

Good job on the fence too. That looks like quite the project.