Thread: Headphone jack to USB

Headphone jack to USB

Anyone have any experience with something like this:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/35...mm_Stereo.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-x-USB-Male...-/250589684956

I've got a Pioneer deck with a USB output. I currently have an ipod connected to the head unit via the usb cord. I'd like to plug my phone into the stereo but haven't had any luck via the mini usb on the phone, all it will do is charge the phone. I'd like to play audio from the phone to the head unit and the above cord seems like it would work but haven't seen anything like it before.

Another question I have is if there is a such thing as a usb splitter. I only have one output from the head unit but have 2 things to plug in. I think that the female ends of the usb would have to have a switch to pick which device i want to play. The ipod is permanently installed in a hidden location so it always has to be plugged in. I'd like a switchable split to bypass the ipod and use the phone, if that makes sense.

TIA

Re: Headphone jack to USB

I found this:

http://www.usbswitch.com/usb_2port_mini_switch.html

but I need something with the more standard USB ports but can't find anything. I assume the switch allows data to travel both ways? The graphics show input where I need it to be output.

Another question I have is if there is a such thing as a usb splitter. I only have one output from the head unit but have 2 things to plug in. I think that the female ends of the usb would have to have a switch to pick which device i want to play. The ipod is permanently installed in a hidden location so it always has to be plugged in. I'd like a switchable split to bypass the ipod and use the phone, if that makes sense.
    that would be a hub, and all of the stereos ive encountered are incapable of using a hub on their USB inputs.

the deck will not access your music on your phone because it does not recgonize it as something it can interface with. you may have an option on your phone to mount it as a disk drive, then it will access the internal memory of the phone and retain the file structure. i have had no luck with this method however.

depending on what deck you have, you can get (and you need for what you want to do) and aux in converter. it will likely plug in where a disc changer would.

more information on your head unit will be helpful in tracking down exactly what you need. with the aux in, you will not be able to control the music from your unit, but instead from the device, in this case your phone.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I'm cooking dinner right now but I'll try to run out before bed and get a model number. Ideally I just want to broadcast Pandora so I don't need the deck to access files, just play audio. I do this at home with the surround sound all the time. I was hoping the phone jack to usb would transmit that to the deck and it would play.

The challenge would be a hub to pick which device to play.

Edit: It's a Pioneer DEH-P5000 USB. It's 4 years old but came out the week I got the 4runner so I had to have it.

Does your deck also have an RCA-type auxiliary audio in? I simply have a cord like the one below permanently connected to the back of the stereo with the headphone lead coming out of the center console between the cupholders and the driver's seat. It will play anything with a headphone jack.

looking at your specs, it apprears you have a 3.5mm aux in on the rear of the deck, so all you need is a mini to mini cable (the connector on the right of ken's picture, on both ends)

www.monoprice.com for inexpensive cables. its worth getting a good one since this is analog sound, so spend the few extra dollars and get a good one.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yFuxf0y...l#overview-tab

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks for the replies. I was talking with someone at work the other day whos messed with stereos. Looks like I need to pull the sucker out and look at the back of it again. I also need to find out what the stereo thinks AUX is, like what input. The stereo can have bluetooth and XM added but as far as I remember there aren't a ton of inputs on the back.

Thanks guys, this has saved me some headache and additional wires.

It ends up that my stereo has a 3.5mm out put on the back along with a lot of other things. Quick install and routing and now there is internet radio. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    It ends up that my stereo has a 3.5mm out put on the back along with a lot of other things. Quick install and routing and now there is internet radio. Thanks guys.
    input*? and figured as much from the specs. glad you got it figured out!