Thread: Air Compressor gaskets?

Air Compressor gaskets?

So I was given an old craftsmen compressor. Sadly the nipple for the head of the compressor that connects the line to the tank snapped off in there. I shoulda just left the head on there but I took it off to get that nipple out.

Now the gaskets are trash and Im sure as sheet they arent available from sears anymore.

Was on mc-master carr but cant figure out what type of material to use. http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-gaskets/=fxll3k I wad thinking the carbon type gasket they list or a graphite one they note has high pressure resilience, but the material is rather costly overall.

I need the gaskets that go between the head and top of the cylinder and one for the flapper valve/block. I was thinking I might be able to get away with using RTV gray but IDK...
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Re: Air Compressor gaskets?

first, give sears parts a call. you will be surprised at what is still available.

i doubt rtv will hold.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Ill try calling them, but checking online shows zilch. The thing is old and when I say old I have no idea if its even the original motor..

Any idea what kinda gasket material I could use should all else fail? The material on it now is some kinda thick rubber/carbon type gasket I think.

not sure what the shape is but immediately i think of bicycle intertube material, carefully cut out.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

In old I'm assuming it's a belt driven oil pump? If so and really old there weren't a lot of different companies that made pumps. As a result Sears wouldn't be your only source. Unless you had the model of the compressor, as a whole not just the pump or motor, I don't think anyone at Sears would be able to help without a bunch of hoop jumping.

Looking at your link I'd start with the high temp carbon and graphite but make sure you get something thick enough. A call to compressor shop might also be in order. If they don't have or can't get the part they can give you an idea of what to order.

I wouldn't use RTV or inner tube. If anything get some sheet gasket material from Summit or Jegs.

Thanks for the replies guys. FWIW Its a direct drive oil unit, no belt.

Im gonna go to the local napa and see what they got, maybe they have a DIY head gasket type material, cause thats what it reminds me of-thinking on it.

Interesting. Well it probably still gets hot so the correct gasket is still important. My local parts stores sell gasket material in sheets but most looks kind of like cork.

Do you have any pics or are there any markings on the pump?

Ill have to fetch the info in the morning Mike. If the gaskets more than 25 bucks I had enough of this thing. So far Ive bought at least 20 bucks worth of copper fittings and piping to make the thing work (the pipe was busted and it has some kinda homemade setup), a new check valve for 10 bucks and now this.. All for a tank that has seen way better days.

Course free is free...