Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overhead console

Overhead console

I've been thinking about this project for a little while now. I just don't have anywhere to mount my Yaesu FT2800 2M Ham and I don't use 70cm enough to justify buying a new radio with a remote mount head (yet ), so I need to build something. A few months ago I found this console on Dept of the Interior and that got the gears turning (BTW, their application list is HUGE - don't know if they export though)

This is my starting point, wall shelf track cut and tacked to the profile of my headliner (excuse the poor stitch job on the panoramic). It's a structural shape and will be fine supporting the minimal loads I plan to use it for.

The front mount is getting sandwiched between the rear view and the roof. The rear is where I had a problem. Pulling the interior light out and feeling around, I realized there is a metal channel at the back of the roof nearly 2.5" wide. This would suffice with the help of some RivNuts. So I measured and drilled holes . . .

. . . before popping in a few 1/4" RivNuts. The ones I got from the local Grainger are Stainless and were a lot harder to put in place than the cheapie aluminum ones - I have no doubt they will not pull out of the sheet metal

When I get a bit of time at work this week I'll cut up the front and rear brackets and tack both shelf tracks to the brackets. That'll give me the frame work to mount everything else from. I may end up not upholstering it for awhile, but at least I'll have my radio mounted. BTW, for cheap 2" wide x 1/8" thick (12ga) flat stock, check out the lumber tie straps at the big box home improvement stores - I got this 36" piece for less than $10
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Re: Overhead console

nice project, I also thought about this years ago, never followed through, cant wait to watch your progress
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

IMHO just for the sake of it run a piece of upholstery foam in the shape of the structure you want and go wheeling.

This serves two purposes. First, it tells you whether or not you're ever likely to smack your noggin on it at some point. Second, it lets you play with the shape and then can become a possible mold for a fiberglass shell.

~Reason I suggest that is I will never own another rig with either an overhaed console or a low hanging sunroof shell (ie:4th-5th gen Runners I smack my head on the interior framework).

I like you projects Corax, it'll be cool to see what you come up with. I've got my 2800 in the DIN spot below my stereo and it's fine there. I'm not a fan of bolting crap to the transmission tunnel so the ceiling is a good spot. Even at high power my radio has never gotten very hot and never too hot to run. Having it up high will eliminate the need for an aux speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi..
    . . . just for the sake of it run a piece of upholstery foam in the shape of the structure you want and go wheeling.

This serves two purposes. First, it tells you whether or not you're ever likely to smack your noggin on it at some point. Second, it lets you play with the shape and then can become a possible mold for a fiberglass shell.
    My Celica seats sit lower than the originals, so my noggin' is far from it. I'm going to start mounting things to the frame and let that determine its final shape (form follows function). Worst case scenario, I hate it and sell it on YT

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Even at high power my radio has never gotten very hot and never too hot to run. Having it up high will eliminate the need for an aux speaker.
    The FT2800 is just a mil-spec heat sink that happens to have a radio attached - I've never even felt it get warm yet. My eventual plan is to upgrade to an FT8900 or FT8800 which is slightly smaller and should fit the frame I'm building now - not sure if I want to build a solid side to the frame for this reason, though I do want to run another piece of track from front to back to stiffen it a bit more.

I got it bolted up, but far from finished, today.
    Front sandwiched between the rearview and the roof:

Rear needs some slight "fine-tuning" to get the rest of the bolts in + I'm going to run 2 scraps of channel back onto the plate for reinforcement:

Overall, for now:

I got the radio brackets made and welded on today. Amazingly enough, all the holes were in the correct spots and the radio bolted right up after it was tacked onto the frame (out of vehicle, NOT using my radio as a jig while welding). My head is still fairly far away from the radio, I would really have to try to smack my head against it. In an accident, as long as the seat belt locks like it should, I'll have plenty of room.

I also drilled a bunch of other holes in the mounting bracket to adjust the angle of the radio. I plan on getting thumb screw type bolts so I just have to remove one from each side and move the radio to the angle I want - probably face it down a bit more if I'm expecting more use.

For the trim so far I'm thinking of leaving the side of the radio completely exposed so I can get to the adjustment - just running an acute triangle from the very front of the frame to the above the radio face.

I'm also not sure what else I want to mount up there, so suggestions are welcome. Probably a small "project box" with my lightbar switches. I'm thinking 2 low amp 12V power outlets piggybacked off the radio power circuit would be useful. I'd also like some map lights that I can aim (preferably something I can find at the Pick N Pull for cheap), maybe something like this

or this from the older Fords
    [img width=800 height=600]http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/2-3l-talk/55257d1226600361-map-light-rarity-question-maplightfront.jpg[/img]

Coming along great..

I'm also not sure what else I want to mount up there, so suggestions are welcome.
    Rocker panel: http://www.12voltguy.com/product.php...cat=256&page=1

or a gun or rifle holster/holder ?

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-BSKYBSR2

just some ideas
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

^Ric's right, you are in Oregon and Washington's right there. You know you wanna fit in w/ all the locals?

Interesting you mention the gun part, I'll have to check tomorrow, but my Glock just might fit in the nook above the radio. As far as the carling switches go . . . they look neat, but so far I'm only into this project about $10. I think I might just make my own panel like I did with the rear shell

Someone else mentioned a bungee mesh net threaded between screw eyes to hold light weight things (gloves, papers, etc) that I may incorporate into the dead space between the functional parts.

I found a bit more inspiration on which direction I might take next, but I can't find any info on the company that built these. I kinda dig the fold-down compartment in the last pic.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast