Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Overhead console

Re: Overhead console

The frame is done, so the next step is to bridge the spaces with MDF and then fiberglass over it all. The big flat bits on the left are the radio mounts the short diagonal parts near there are the switch panel mounts. The trapezoid thing on the right is for light/soft/small object storage - it's getting MDF on the front, rear, and bottom with a bungee mesh on both sides.

When it's upside down, it kinda looks like a big remote control car or mini rat-rod frame

Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

looks awesome keith!

ive always thought about putting a net over the sunroof cover to store stuff like maps, hats, and other lightweight stuff.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Using 1/8" MDF, I "sewed" panels onto the frame. Screws would have shown through the 'glass and I figured nylon thread will soak up the resin and not show on the final product. Since the switch panel comes right to the top of the radio face, I decided not to have the power outlets (for plug in gooseneck map lights, etc) in the panel itself - anything I plugged in would get in the way of the 2M radio. So I welded on 2 more small panels to side mount the power outlets.

I still need to drill the holes for the shock cord mesh that will keep things in the small storage area and make a hole to recess my remote CB speaker, but otherwise I think it's finally ready for 'glass. From the switch panel forward (to the left in the pic) will probably just stay as painted metal while the rest will get covered in 'glass cloth - maybe just 3-4 layers and following the contour of the frame to give me recessed areas for future mounting options

Wow...looks great keith!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

looking great so far
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Well, the fiberglass part isn't going nearly as well as I had hoped. The biggest issue seems to be that the fiberglass cloth doesn't like making 90 degree bends around the frame, so it arcs up and creates big air pockets that I can't get to stick back down. Most of what I did today is probably going to get cut & sanded off.

Because of this I'm thinking of taking a different approach. I should still be able to use the cloth across the flat sections of MDF, I just can't wrap it around the frame to encase everything like I had hoped. What if I just used body filler to fill the gaps, fill in the metal frame holes and then brushed a layer of fiberglass resin over it all without using the cloth? Would it just crack and fall apart in a few months or does that sound like a feasible alternative? Maybe I should just use smaller strips of cloth instead of trying to wrap one big piece?

so you are taking fiberglass cloth and wrapping it around? how about using fleece? or tie the cloth very tight around the frame, then brushing resin on.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Fleece probably will work better.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I think my problem was that I was trying to use pieces of cloth that were too big - if you've ever played with fiberglass cloth you know how easily small piece fray and come apart. That, and years ago I got some sage advice from a trusted body guy, "At some point you gotta stop *%&#ing with it or you'll just make it worse." So I used a razor to cut off the parts that didn't stick to the frame and laid down strips of cloth over the bare parts. The cloth and resin stuck to the MDF boards just fine. It still wasn't adhering to the metal quite how I wanted, so I put a piece of tissue over the cloth and set a piece of wood on top to hold it down. The tissue will soak up some of the resin, but should be easy enough to tear or lightly sand off once dry. A friend also told me that doing this outside (~50 degrees, no work shop) probably didn't help much.

I'm anxious to get my 2M radio mounted again, so I'll start laying on a few more layers during lunch at work and hopefully get this done by the weekend.

I got the frame all covered and somewhat finished - I'm going to live with it for a few weeks before I string up the shock cord. This isn't going to be the final color - it's just some cheap paint I threw on to see how wavy the fiberglass really is - final color is going to be a flat or matte grey like my dash. If I had it to do over, it would be much easier to fiberglass, and the results would be prettier, with mdf on both sides of the metal frame.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast