Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Overhead console

Re: Overhead console

So here's "good enough for now" - eventually I'll drill the holes to zig zag some shock cord across the small storage area. The plate above my Yaesu still needs to be drilled for the lightbar switches, and you can see the power outlets that I might use for goose-neck map lights on either side. The whole mess is far enough away that I'm not worried about inadvertently hitting my head on it.

I also have this in mind to keep the mic cord from swinging around. I already tested it out just haven't mounted it, when I pull on the mic the cord falls right out of the holder. If you need to know where I got this little plastic gem . . . it's a piece that has to be removed from an ES300 window regulator before install (holds a wire spool in place).

Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

If you wanted the mic lower you could run a phone cord from the radio down a pillar and to the dash, console or seat. I have a cord in my glove box for extending the mic out of the cab. I also have an extension cord for my external speaker so it can take it out of the cab. It's the setup I use if I'm working an event and use the 4runner as base. Anything further I use the HT.

Nice!
    My signature

finished and mounted the switch plate. The red LED toggle powers the light bar switches - that way I have some kind of visual letting me know I may have flashing lights on my roof. The 2 top toggles are the white take-down and alley lights. Yellow cap is the amber rotators, red is amber/red front and rear flashers and the green cap is for the stage closing green rotators.

now I'm thinking about fabbing a new light bar mount so I can use the Yak towers with false gutters on the back and ditch my bolt on cargo rails . . . it never ends, does it?

I got a smoking deal on a new in the box Yaesu FT8800 last week and found that, while it can be adapted to fit, it doesn't look right in my current console. Plus, I'd rather have the remote mount head further forward where it's easier to see at a quick glance.

So I started on another overhead console. I think I'm going to mount the radio sideways at the front, but I'm not sure about where the switch panel is going to go at this point. I believe the build should go a lot quicker and hopefully the fiberglass will come out a bit better with what I learned from the first build. I got the basic frame put together in just an hour or two this weekend

If anyone is looking for an overhead console for a 1st gen 4runner or 86-89 pickup, I'll be selling the original one in a few weeks (minus the switch panel, power outlets and radio)

Any plans for the 2800?

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Any plans for the 2800?
    I currently put it back in one of my water/air tight military boxes along with a mag mount antenna and 8 foot alligator clip power lead so I can use it as a quick set up spare radio or loan it out if needed. I don't see much point in selling it since the 2800's are only going for about $100-$125 used. If you're interested in picking one up check the eham.net or qrz.com classifieds - it's only 2M/VHF but they've been described as a mil-spec heat sink with a radio attached and are somewhat known as being reliable and durable with about 65W of transmit power

Oh yeah I know. I've got a 2800 that was had for cheap brand new. I asked because I could use a second. If not for another vehicle it would be for a base or mobile base I could set up for events.

Over two years old, I know. What became of this project?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast