Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Overhead console

Well, I never did build a second overhead console but I still have the frame, so maybe eventually - I actually haven't done much to the 4runner over the last year or so except basic maintenance.
    I used a retractable key ring from Home Depot for the mic, installed a cheap <$5 surface mount voltage gauge, some bungee cord, and remote mounted the Yaesu faceplate towards the front.

View from the driver seat, the faceplate is much more visible and easier to check while driving

back half from the passenger side showing the bungee cord criss-crossed to hold stuff and my safety vest from when I was more active in SAR, also the remote speaker in the top

some PPE gloves on the back side just in case I need them during Rally weekends (haven't rolled up on any bloody scenes yet, but it does happen occassionally)

Yeah, it could be a bit cleaner, but for right now it works fine.
    I've started to think about a new roof rack over the fiberglass top supported by 2"x1" legs down to the steel bodywork, but I think that might wait until spring
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Thanks for the update! I'm still doing research for my new one.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Sean I have a bunch of that 1/2" square tube laying around from the demolition to make the shelf if you're interested.

This is a pretty cool overhead imo. Not sure I would do it before the runner goes to 4 single seats (a very long ways away right now lol)
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Might be interested. How thick is it?

(if you included a pic with your last post, it doesn't show)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

It's thin wall stuff.

not in bad condition but I don't have a use for it currently. Seems like it would be overkill for the frame....but you will not dent it with your head either lol.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Sorry thin wall wasn't very descriptive lol. I pulled out a gadget that has proven worth more than what I paid.

The second image is 1x1" and I might have a use for that with the shelf.....but everything is on hold till I get my hands on a super powered amplifier lol. Still have to find a great place for scrap though so I can practice a bit. Can't seem to catch metal shops when they're open with work.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

16ga 1/2" square tube? hell yes! Hold on to it until I see you (hopefully not more than a couple of months). It will be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    16ga 1/2" square tube? hell yes! Hold on to it until I see you (hopefully not more than a couple of months). It will be useful.
    I can see what I can do about laying my hands on a little more. Those things get tossed after being destroyed and nobody seems to mind that I dispose of them lol.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I'll have a bit after I chop up my old center console. I won't need too much, just enough to make a frame.

I'm not worried about it. I just figure I will need scrap to practice on before I go for welding together a top rack without tweaking it.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast