Thread: Reinforcing the Roof of our '98 4Runner

Reinforcing the Roof of our '98 4Runner

With the additional weight of our roof basket and the camping gear we carry in it, we began to notice some weakness in the roof. The roof didn't seem to be able to support a load in the front third of the factory load-bar track. Applying weight caused the track and roof to deflect downward, and the rack's inertia would cause the roof to vibrate while driving over rough terrain. During our recent trip to the Four-Corners area the vibrations went from occasion vibrations to non-stop vibrations even when we were driving on smooth roads and the interstate. It had become severe enough that it was time to investigate and see if I could stiffen things up.

What We Found:
    To gain access to the roof I began by removing the headliner from the 4Runner. This required pulling all the interior plastic side panels out; from the rear all the way to the front A-pillar. This process is fairly straight forward and can be accomplished in very little time. Once the panels were removed, I began removing the grab-handles, dome lights, rear-view mirror, sun visors, and the four plastic push fasteners holding the headliner in place.

With the headliner removed, the structure supporting the weight of the load-bar track became visible. Each track is supported by a stamped sheet metal channel which runs directly below and sandwiches the roof between the two. Two braces run between the load-bar track supports to add overall rigidity to the roof structure. To allow room for the sunroof to be retracted, the front one-third of the roof is left unbraced. I believe this lack of bracing is the cause of our vibration issues.

You can read about the rest of our project on our blog by clicking here.
    Beau<br />Living Overland (coming soon!)<br />Gourmet Cooking&nbsp; *&nbsp; Travel&nbsp; *&nbsp; 4WD <br />Living Overland on Facebook<br /><br />Purchase a Foodie Sticker!<br /><br />&#39;98 4Runner SR5 5spd

Re: Reinforcing the Roof of our '98 4Runner

looks good!

i've always worried about the roof fatiguing to the point of being useless. i rarely carry anything in the rack, but it is still a concern.

hope that solves your problem!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks! So far the rattle is gone. We usually travel with two fuel cans, camp chairs, a plastic tote for trash, one for bathroom stuff, hi-lift, and shovel. I need to fill up a couple of fuel cans to toss up there and see how it does.
    Beau<br />Living Overland (coming soon!)<br />Gourmet Cooking&nbsp; *&nbsp; Travel&nbsp; *&nbsp; 4WD <br />Living Overland on Facebook<br /><br />Purchase a Foodie Sticker!<br /><br />&#39;98 4Runner SR5 5spd

Beau, as well as everyone else here possibly facing the same issue, FWIW regarding this shot..

Having dealt with this exact issue on numerous builds and restos/customs I would suggest you consider picking up some flowable 2 part seam sealer and inject some on top of the parts where the factory cream colored bonding/seam sealant has deteriorated and cracked and allow it to overflow a little bit out from above the brace where the existing sealant is. You want enough so that it reattaches the roof to the braces, ideally having the vehicle on level ground, settled, unloaded, and without any weight on the roof (ie: REMOVE YOUR BASKETS/WHATEVER).

2 main reasons here.

First being it will add to what you've done to deaden noise.

Second, to re-strengthen the roof structure as the factory intended it to be. This is a integral part of the vehicles overall safety structure. It all eventually cracks but with the roof loaded up you just made it happen prematurely, just as i have done with mine from running my Thule Towers too tight together and having the roof bow upwards when the body flexed.

It's a problem the 4Runers, Land Cruisers, and Sequoia's all see due to the same reason.

The specific sealer you want includes either a blue or a red gun and the sealant is in a 2 part mixture with a 5 pack of nozzles like bodyshops and race shops use.

Hope this helps.

Pics borrowed for reference from: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181948
    [img width=800 height=597]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6060/6337929162_d66d1633c1_b.jpg[/img]
    [img width=800 height=597]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6096/6337930008_9d9602bedb_b.jpg[/img]

Obi, Thanks for the information! I didn't even think about fixing the cracked epoxy on the braces but I will have to look into that. Right now the headliner and panels are back in place but another long weekend could be spent with some seam sealer.

All good, wear some gloves and be sure to throw some plastic sheet over the interior so nothing gets gooped up if you get any drips.