Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bigwapiti's 2011 Tundra build - Big Nambe

Atomic Fabworks fire extinguisher mount is on...

All,

In the relentless quest for efficiency, I now present to you the Atomic Fabworks fire extinguisher mount...Previously, I had my DD fire extinguishers attached with a combination of the factory mount + a Quikfist. Not anymore, Atomic has these little babies available. The design is simple and elegant. During a panic situation, I believe this will afford a quicker response than fiddling with the previous mounting system. Here is the scoop:

This bracket comes in two seperate pieces that pivot around a bolt on the bottom and is held in place with a t-handle pull pin on top. There are several slots / holes located along the bracket itself for plenty of mounting options.

I chose to mount the fire extinguisher with hose clamps, and I bolted the mount to my cabinet system.

All it takes is a quick pull of the T-handle and you are ready to go. I have two mounts, one in the truck and one on the Sherpa II. Enjoy!

Regards,

BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

Camp light / locator project is done...

All,

I have completed another project for my camping armamentaria. I noticed a couple of times this year, I was in need of additional overhead lighting. Since I have the IBS dual battery system, I dove right in. I was able to acquire a lockable 12 plug / adapter from Marinco, and I had Atomic Fabworks install the plug in the passenger side cabinet. I went with a pair of Rigid Industries Dually D2s (diffused lens), as well as a 6' LED lighted whip for a camp locator. I have daytime pics only at this time. I'll post up some night pics when I get a chance. Onto the pics...

The basic setup is as follows: I went with a 4' / 8' retractable painter's pole. The base and mounting bracket were fabbed up at Atomic. The adjustable pole is 'locked' in with wire pin fasteners at the base and the light mounting bar. The whole system is able to break down significantly. The base can be 'driven over' for stability, however, I chose to mount this on the roof rack.

The coil cord was quite a problem since I could not locate exactly what I needed. I did not want to splice several short 'cobbled' sections together, rather, I was looking for a coil that was one piece. Cable science to the rescue. I ordered a 5 foot coiled cable that could stretch out to 30 feet if needed. The NCV182 is a 2 conductor / 18 gauge coil that can accomodate up to 300 volts if need be. Cable science offers this in any lenght that you need. Fabrication took 4 business days and it was shipped following completion. The coil is high quality. The rubberized coating appears very durable, and I am looing forward to many years of service. I recommend Cable Science highly.

As mentioned earlier, the lights are Rigid Industries Dually D2s in a diffused pattern, and the whip is from Tribal Whips. Both lights are able to be unplugged when needed, and they are quite bright to say the least.

I mounted the base on the Bajarack to gain as much height as possible. The total height of the Duallys are about 20 feet + the length of the whip. I have tied the pole with some heavy duty bungee straps, and they are hooked to the corners of the Bajarack.

I'm working on becoming more proficient at setup and teardown. I'll post night pics when I am able to. Enjoy!

Regards,

BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

Re: Bigwapiti's 2011 Tundra build - Big Nambe

I'm very interested in seeing the diffused beam pics.

If you haven't already taken the pics do you think you could get lower level pics? At about the height that you have in your first pic. I'm thinking about some for driving but something aimed below the headlights.

EXO rear bumper pics...

All,

I just got a pic from EXO of a rear tire carrier for the Tacoma. My rear tire carrier will be similar to this. I am particularly liking the modularity of this system. I'll have my choice between a rear tire / gas cans / Armstrong GMTK toolchest / custom winch extension + recovery case...Too many options at this point. It will consist of a single swing only. I cannot wait...

Happy New Year everyone!

Regards,

BWJ

Navigator

wow, thats a beefy rear swinger... Looks heavy for a taco, but perfect for a tundra like yours.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

All,

Earlier, I was given some pics, from EXO, of their dual carrier for the Taco. This setup is similar to the Tundra. Initially, it seemed too 'crowded' and overbuilt. Don't get me wrong, I believe the EXO carrier system to be one of the more stout offerings out there, but to my eye, I am glad that the overall width of the Tundra is wider and stretch things out a bit.

I was wanting a modular approach, where I could have options in terms of choosing armamentaria. I feel as though a dedicated tire carrier would be one dimensional. EXO seemed to have understood this in their design. With the use of a grid configuration, There are many ways I can utilize this mount.

[img width=800 height=596]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/bigwapitijohnny/Expedition%20One/photo5_zpsb046f358.jpg[/img]

My initial concern is with the back-up camera / shroud. I have sent them a pic, with measurements, of what I needed to clear the factory back-up camera. I have grown to really appreciate this option ~ call me spoiled. I find it a major time saver when hooking up the trailer. In addition, it provides an added measure of safety when backing up with kiddos everywhere...My preference is to maintain the location of the camera, however, if I have to move it, so be it...Here are some initial pics of the EXO bumper for the Tundra. Yes, this is mine.

[img width=800 height=600]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/bigwapitijohnny/Expedition%20One/EXOreartirecarrier_zpsd68bb1c0.jpg[/img]

I did not want to go with dual carriers at this time. I feel as though the single is going to be fine for me. It will require some thought on what I end up with ~ good problems to have at this point. Needs are Hi-lift jack, pelican case with recovery gear, the Armstrong GMTK toolkit, or a Rotopax cell. Options, options, options. That is what I like to have.

[img width=800 height=596]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/bigwapitijohnny/Expedition%20One/photo6_zps37a0e359.jpg[/img]

Here is the Taco and Tundra pic for comparison...

Taco

[img width=800 height=596]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/bigwapitijohnny/Expedition%20One/photo6_zps37a0e359.jpg[/img]

Tundra

Also, I have decided to take the Rigid industries Dually D2 off the Baja Rack and I will place 2 D2s in the supplied light mounts. I found the Dually D2 with the diffused pattern to wash out when placed low, and I prefer a more directional beam when backing up. It is perfect for overhead lighting, but not for backing up. I'll see when I get the rig set up.

BEEF, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER...

Regards,

BWJ

Navigator

Definitely need to see this beast installed
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

EXO bumper is shipped...

All,

I just got some pics of the bumper and the latching system. This process has taken time, however, the end result is worth the wait. I am going to 'tweak' the carrier at Atomic fab, then to RML powdercoating, then installed. Tweaks will include a modular case rack ~ pelican with recovery gear, a swing down table and a rotopax. Also, I'm going to fab up a locking pin system so I can lock the tire carrier at various open positions. I'll have to see when it gets here...

EXO fabbed up a custom latch system. Originally, the latching system on their ExPo Tundra was electric, and was riddled with problems. So this is their solution. From what I understand, it is mechanical and far more reliable. I'll be the judge of that. Here are the pics...**not the most focused pics in the world** I'll get better pics when its mocked up on my rig.

[img width=800 height=596]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/bigwapitijohnny/latch_zpsd066ec8f.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=596]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/bigwapitijohnny/latch2_zps8d41b7a5.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=596]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/bigwapitijohnny/latch3_zps00cbe2cc.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=596]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/bigwapitijohnny/latch6_zps30e03583.jpg[/img]

Regards,

BWJ

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234