Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bigwapiti's 2011 Tundra build - Big Nambe

Re: Bigwapiti's 2011 Tundra build - Big Nambe

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    Very cool project! Looks great!
    I appreciate it Daniel! Thanks for the kind words!

Regards,

BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

All,

I recently received my custom made Baja Rack. I am VERY pleased with the results, and my expectations have been exceeded. Sergio and John are quality guys to work with, and they provided me an exceptional rack.

Baja Rack was the only rack system to fit the existing OEM tracks on my 3rd generation 4runner. They engineered a mounting system to fit without compromising stability and/or strength.

The foot system is similar to the picture above...

I had a Yakima track system installed on my SnugTop SnugPro shell, knowing that I would eventually utilize an overhead rack. One of my criteria was for a lower profile rack system. I considered Rhino Rack, Frontrunner, Baja Rack and Yakima to name a few. After contacting the manufacturers, I found that the existing rack systems were retrofitted to fit into the track system, and then work up from there. I knew that Baja Rack had several offerings for Toyotas, however, not specifically for the 2nd generation Tundra. I was beginning to think that a custom rack was going to be the only route available...

After leaving inquiries with all the mentioned vendors, I was contacted by John Gjata ~ Baja Rack's head engineer. We discussed my vision for the rack, and within several months, my rack is here. I did want a lower profile rack, and this one is the same dimension, heightwise, as that of their 5th generation 4runner offering. I wanted an expanded metal floor for more tie down options as opposed to the usual floor consisting of bars. My previous rack came with a glossy powder coat finish. This rack came with a textured, matte black finish - much better in my opinion. Anyway, on to the pics!

Feet - 3 per side. The middle feet are a touch shorter than the other two.

Rack itself - This rack is plenty stout.

I got a chance to 'test' this out mounting my gear, I am north of 220 lbs...It passed with flying colors.

I'll post up pics of the tools and Shadyboy awning soon...

Regards,

BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

All,

I wanted to post up some pics of my slider project. I went with a local shop here in Olathe, KS ~ Atomic Fabworks. Atomic is a great shop to work with. I did look into some other designs available ~ Budbuilt, Slee and Beefed. However, I chose to give the guys at Atomic a shot. They were able to help me out quickly with some custom feet for my BajaRack.

I showed them my original sliders for my 3rd gen with the design of the single kickout. Originally, I went with Stubbs HDSKOs for the design and quality. However, Stubbs does not have sliders available for current Tundra.

My application for this rig is more for expedition travels versus rock crawling, so I am not in need of anything real heavy duty. I figure with the wheelbase that I have, I'm not going to take this, and my Sherpa II, on any tight trails...Here in Kansas, I'll be encountering mostly fire roads and fallen trees.

I had a design appointment with Atomic and had several objectives for the sliders:

1) be stout enough to use as a jack point if need be.
    2) function as a step to get into the rig and load my BajaRack.
    3) extend far enough to keep the door dingers and shopping carts honest.
    4) look good.

Here are some preliminary pics so far...I am glad that I gave Atomic a shot. They have exceeded my expectations thus far. These are 86" long, made from 1.75" tubing and bolt on. The overall profile is such that they sweep a total of 2" wider than the width in the front.

As you can tell, there is a slight bend in the rear of the slider as seen by the arrows. They did this to tuck the slider under the bed a little tighter...RIGHT ON!

I wanted the slider to serve as a step as well. My son has dinged his shin several times getting in, and my wife wanted to push the slider project up due to difficulty getting into the truck ~ NICE. I went with aluminum five bar for my previous sliders, but after the bed liner coating, traction was not too good.

So, I decided to go with a raised dimple pattern along the entire length, and a more dense pattern where you would step to get into the rig...good traction for all.

Finally, there is a little schwag from Atomic. I had them CNC cut their logo and will have it welded by the radius bend to serve as a 'traction' puck ~ arrow again. This will afford me some traction when I want to access the BajaRack.

I'm going with a matte black powder coating this time. I get the sliders installed in 2 weeks. Cannot wait...I'll post up pics when I get them installed.

Regards,

BWJ

Rack Armamentaria ~ Shady Boy awning

All,

I have just returned from an Easter campout with my son. It was an incredible time to be had. I took some pics of the awning system that I am currently using. I chose to go with the SHADY BOY awning (http://www.shadyboy.com). I chose this system due to the extruded anodized aluminum case, and the compact dimensions will fit the shorter bed / rack dimension of the Crewmax (5 1 /2 feet). I did not want an awning that would extend past the length of the rack, and this system fits the bill to a 'T'. This awning is very popular with the Vanagon and Eurovan groups, but not the ExPo crowd. It is not as robust as other products available. However, if you are looking for an awning package in a compact, lightweight design (less than 15 lbs); this system should be strongly considered. No, there are no options for screen rooms or wall panels ~ it is too lightweight for that. It is just for providing shade and shade only. Onto the pics...

The case opes up with a spring that keeps the clamshell open. Once opened, the awning and poles can be deployed. There are two button snaps that hold the awning down and when you are rolling it up, there are corresponding snaps that hold the awning corners in place.

The material is a lightweight ripstop nylon that has a silver finish on top. This finish is said to reflect the sun's energy (Somewhat skeptical about this claim...) Anyways, there are a total of 5 heavy fiberglass poles, as well as, 2 additional lighterweight downdraft poles (optional).

On each end, there is a milled aluminum block that the poles fit into in two orientations. Also, there is a milled center block as well. The fit is exceptional. So much so, that I struggled with the pole angulation during the initial assembly. These poles are oriented upwards at a slight angle to allow the fiberglass poles to bow out and give the awning some lift.

The awning size is 10' x 6' ~ not too bad for an awning that comes in a case that is 49" in length...Here is the awning with all of the poles in place. As with other awnings, be careful in deploying this in windy conditions. The first time I did this, I saw the flexibility of these poles when the awning inverted and resembled a sail...:Wow1:

I found these 10" ground anchors at the Home Depot. These are really stout and will be able to widthstand quite alot of wind. I figure if it's too windy for these to anchor down the awning, it shouldn't be set up in the first place...

Here are some pics of the awning staked down and totally set up.

Peavey comes in next week, sliders are coming soon...Stay tuned!

Regards,

BWJ

cool awning! Mind if I ask what the price point was on the awning? Ball park is good enough just to tickle my fancy
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

The awning was about $450 shipped with the extra poles and silver material upgrade...

Regards,

BWJ

All,

I got the sliders bolted on yesterday at Atomic Fabworks. They got them back from the powdercoater, and they are exceptional. It's almost a shame that these are going to be beat on, but oh well. Anyway, ON TO THE PICS!

I had a choice between 3 different hole patterns for the top plate. Atomic drew them up and sent me a detailed schematic of each pattern. I am glad that I went with this pattern over anything else. The raised dimples provide great traction so far, I am curious to see if this will change in the rain. Access to the BajaRack now is no longer an issue.

There is a slight bend in the rear of both sliders to sweep down and 'flow' where the bed dips down behind the cab. I wanted a kick-out in the rear, but I wanted one that kicked out gradually. To my eye, I really like how the kick-out sweeps outward over the rear half of the slider.

The sliders are 6 inches from the pinchweld up front and 8 inches at their widest. You can see that these accomodate my 'paw' well.

The sliders are mounted using grade 8 hardware and custom fabbed brackets. All in all, Atomic Fabworks did an excellent job. If you are in need of any kind of fabwork, give Atomic a call ~ http://www.atomicfabworks.com/. Ask for either Steve or Kelly.

Regards,

BWJ

All,

I just got back from acquiring the ultimate (my opinion) mobile toolkit available. It was a stroke of luck, and this was a gift from my wife ( :Wow1: ). It is an Armstrong GMTK (General Mechanics Tool Kit). This was a Craigslist find, and I am in shock as to how much I got it for. It is brand new and complete. The gentleman that I bought this from was given this kit overseas. He already had a comprehensive tool kit, and did not need this one. His loss is my substantial gain...For all of you ebay / craigslist hawks, he said that there were PALLETS of these kits remaining following all of the mechanics getting theirs. I figure its only a matter of time before these kits trickle down to ebay and craigslist...Happy hunting.

Case is the Pelican 0450. The tools are from Armstrong Industrial Hand Tools (subsidiary of the Danaher corporation). 7 drawer configuration. Laser cut outs and friction fit are exceptional...

Again this acquisition was truly serendipitous...

By the way, EXO (Expedition One) front / rear bumpers are shipped. Ordered a Warn VR-10000. Masterpull schwag is here...

As soon as the EXO bumpers arrive, I'll get the mock up pics posted up. Going to go with a rear tire carrier. Toying with the idea of mounting the GMTK on the swing out as well...Not sure, she is heavy...

Regards,

BWJ

Nice tool kit! If you don't want to give an actual price you paid for it, can I ask what the "range" was that it fell in?
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    Nice tool kit! If you don't want to give an actual price you paid for it, can I ask what the "range" was that it fell in?
    Keith, FWIW a buddy who's a contractor and a expo-wheeler recently got 2 sets, one "slightly used" and 1 "NIB". The first he got for ~$680 and the new one was IIRC $800.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast