Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overhead Switch Console

Re: Overhead Switch Console

What are the tilt and slide switches for?

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Tilt and slide? Are side thrusters part of your project?

keith, i might try to print it. its at the larger limits of my print area. also, my PLA gets soft at 140-150, temps the inside of my 4runner often reaches in the summer time. if i printed it, id want to print it in ABS, which would require some additional parts for my printer.

tilt and slide are for the sunroof. i am replacing the console with those two switches.

if i do not print it, i might engrave the letters and paint them a contrasting color. i also am playing with the idea of sandwiching a layer of lexan, a printed sheet, and another material (metal or plastic). the switches will not be lighted, but pretty idiot proof and laid out in a logical manner. switches will be off when pushed away, on when pulled towards (except for winch, and sunroof controls, which are off in the middle, and open forward, close towards)
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    i also am playing with the idea of sandwiching a layer of lexan, a printed sheet, and another material (metal or plastic). the switches will not be lighted . . .
    another option that might not even work but I've had rolling around in my head for awhile would be to engrave the lexan and use a dark material behind it. now light up the side of the lexan with an LED or two - in theory (or at least in my mind), being lit from the side you won't see any of the light except where it leaks through at the engraving, creating illuminated lettering. Kind of like how people were making "angel eyes" a few years back with bent clear plastic and the light only escaped where they made cuts in the plastic
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

RepRap - Seanz0rz

should be going for a while. check it out!

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    another option that might not even work but I've had rolling around in my head for awhile would be to engrave the lexan and use a dark material behind it. now light up the side of the lexan with an LED or two - in theory (or at least in my mind), being lit from the side you won't see any of the light except where it leaks through at the engraving, creating illuminated lettering. Kind of like how people were making "angel eyes" a few years back with bent clear plastic and the light only escaped where they made cuts in the plastic
    I was looking to do something like that back in college. My wife (GF at the time) had a Jeep Grand Cherokee that had a little display with the outline of the jeep down by the shifter that lit up the front and back axel when it was in 4 wheel drive. I was going to make a Plexiglas panel with the shape of my 1st gen engraved into it and illuminate it from the side then have micro switches for all the aftermarket stuff like lights, winch, etc.

Any more progress Sean?

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

a little bit, ill post some pictures when i have some more free time. basically the 3d print method is unlikely to succeed as i want it to, but it did teach me alot. i will probably do a sandwich of plastic, printed paper labels, and plexi. not perfect but ok. ill play more with it later, but i got finals next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    . . . not perfect but ok. ill play more with it later, but i got finals next week.
    pretty much my motto. everything's functional but looks better with a little bit of distance.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

RepRap - Seanz0rz

printing again. adjusted some of the carve settings to see if i can get better resolution on the letters. i think a final coat of body filler and black paint would go a long way on making this real nice. worth a try on an otherwise boring sunday spent studying for finals.

3.5 months later, I've made progress!

I ditched the idea of printing what I wanted, it was just too difficult to get the lettering done correctly with the printer. the resolution just isn't up there yet.

I ended up deciding to do the sandwich method. Basically a clear acrylic sheet, and a black ABS sheet sandwiching a high quality printout of my switch panel.

I printed a template, to scale, and set that on my 2 plastic sheets, cutting out the necessary shape:

once that was accomplished, I used a spring punch to punch starter divots in the black ABS:

From there, I drilled pilot holes through the two sheets while they were clamped together. Using a step bit, I drilled the ABS holes to 5/16", and the acrylic holes to 1/4".

I printed the actual layout and labels using photo paper. I went ahead and did a tan color on the background, hoping it would make it look more a part of the vehicle. The color turned out OK, I will have to test it out in the vehicle later. The hardest part was cutting out the 15 holes for the switches in the photo paper.

After a good wipe down, the whole assembly was put together. Here's how it came out, I am rather pleased with how it looks!

Next: pre-wire the back of the board, and build a mounting system for it. stay tuned!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast