Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overhead Switch Console

Re: Overhead Switch Console

I really look forward to seeing this done!
    I am really reconsidering the way the 4Runner is wired up!

Looks great Sean!

[img0]http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae38/hamiltonfabrication/Switch%20Panel/IMG_3970.jpg[/img]

'finished' up the sides. Normally I'd take a lot of time and finish it up real nice. however, i need switches and after some paint, this should look just fine! it will get some sanding first to even it out a bit.

for future reference:

98 4Runner sunroof controls:

Black - Common
    Brown - Tilt down
    blue - Tilt up
    Green - Slide close
    Red - Slide open
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I have a question for you guys

should I use 24 gauge CAT 5E (i have ALOT of this sitting around) or go up to 22 gauge? on these circuits, all i will be operating is a relay (~80mA). anything that is operating more than that will be sized appropriately.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

You should be fine with the 24ga, my light bar switches use CAT 5 for the relays and I had no problems at all
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Looks great Sean!

I've seen a few other guys use CAT 5 for their switch panels, and I like that solution.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Thanks Dan!

Aside from the Sunroof controls, and the strobe switches, everything will be in cat 5 down to the relays. I have part of it wired up, and I'll work on the rest later. hoping to install into the truck maybe tomorrow or tuesday, but I have to remove all the interior to fix another issue later in the week, so I might wait until then.

Old pics are broken, I will fix them someday.

By popular demand, here is my winch control explained:

Since I used small switches and ran small wire, I knew I was going to have to use a relay to control the winch. I went ahead and tested, and found a max load of 1.5A, which is a bit above the recommended .5A/24awg wire. Also, if for some reason something fails, it is easy to fix for me.

As a refresher, here is the switch panel. The winch control switch is a momentary on-off-on, and must have the off-road master switch engaged to work.

Here is my schematic:

From the left:
    Switch common is ground. When you activate "OUT" for example, it completes the ground for the relay.
    CAT5e runs down the passenger A pillar. 2 pairs are for the E-Locker control, and 2 are for winch control. The brown pair (OUT) terminates at pin 85 of my OUT relay. Pin 86 is connected to the 12V lead on the solenoid for the winch. Pin 30 is connected to the common of the winch controller plug of the Smittybilt winch (Black on the plug, Grey in my wiring). Pin 87 goes to the winch out (red on the plug, brown in my wire). The IN relay is wired much the same way, with the exception of it connecting to IN on the switch and IN on the winch plug.

Relays:

The only thing I am missing is a ring terminal for the 12V+ from the winch to power the relays. I have one somewhere, but will probably just go buy some tomorrow morning. Once it is all wired, exposed wires will get the splitloom treatment, and the connectors at the relay will be sealed for moisture.

A much simpler way to do this is to simply extend the wires from the controller plug into the cab and use a larger capacity switch to handle it. The solenoid should only draw 1 or so amps, and 18 AWG should be plenty to handle that. For as easy as this is, I am shocked more people don't do it. Even more appalling is why I waited so long to get this done!

thats friggen awesome sean! I am jealous!

Thanks!

If you want one, I will make you one. It will be much prettier than mine turned out (i just care that it works in my truck).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast