Thread: Steering creak

Steering creak

I need a little help tracking down a noise that I noticed for the first time yesterday.

While pulling into my driveway today I got a loud creaking sound while turning. I don't notice anything while driving straight...just during turns. I haven't noticed it before but it's been cold so I haven't had the windows down much but it's definitely coming from underneath the 4Runner.

I checked:
    1. P/S fluid - Good
    2. Visually check Lower ball joints - Good (replaced within last 10 months)
    3. Visually check Outer TRE - Good (replaced within last 10 months)
    4. Nothing looks odd with the suspension components.
    5. No leaks seen around the steering rack

I am wondering if the steering rack decided to start it's death throes today. It is the original rack and it has been pushing around 35s for several years. I've searched a few sites so far but have not really coming up with anything that seems to match.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks...Lance
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

Re: Steering creak

I assume you have your foot on the accelerator when pulling in? Is your driveway up hill or downhill (just trying to paint myself a picture). Is the steering wheel turned all the way when you're turning? What about when you hit the bump? Does it do this only into your driveway? Might have to make a trip to the mall and hit some curbs to isolate the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    I assume you have your foot on the accelerator when pulling in? Is your driveway up hill or downhill (just trying to paint myself a picture). Is the steering wheel turned all the way when you're turning? What about when you hit the bump? Does it do this only into your driveway? Might have to make a trip to the mall and hit some curbs to isolate the noise.
    I'm usually coasting into my driveway which goes downhill to my garage. I probably have the wheel turned about 75% or more as I pull in. It's not necessarily when I am hitting a bump because I drove around the block and it was doing it on the turns (no bumps). I noticed the sound initially backing out of a parking spot earlier that day...I just thought it was a suspension creak because I was at a weird angle.
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

Steering rack bushings shot?
    Front brakes worn and wear indicator is making contact?
    Something caught in the disc brake dust shield?
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4L Auto