Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rattle Snake Bites - Useful Information

Rattle Snake Bites - Useful Information

http://www.expeditionportal.com/reso...atment-of.html

expedition portal has a great article on rattle snake bites.

since most of us live and play in snake country, this advise is important.

What does one do if you are bit be a rattlesnake?

• Keep the bitten area still, don't flail the injured area around.

• Stay calm, this may sound difficult to do, but remember that if you stay calm and get to treatment as quickly as possible, the injury will be much easier to treat.

• Remove any constricting jewelry or constricting clothing as swelling will occur and you do not want jewelry constricting blood flow to extremities.

• Keep the area of the snake bite lower than the heart.

• Wash the bite area, which is considered a wound, to help reduce the chance of infection.

• An elastic bandage can be applied to slow the spread of venom through the lymphatic system. When wrapping a bandage for this purpose always begin the wrap at the distal end (point furthest away from the heart) and wrap towards the heart. Do not wrap too tight or in too small of sections, make them long wraps. Always check the extremities for feeling, warmth and color and continue to do so until the patient or you have arrived at the hospital.

• Get to a hospital as quickly as possible. Call 9-1-1 and or the Poison Control Center 1.800.122.1222.

• If you can snap a picture of the snake on your cell phone - without occurring any further harm! do so as this can help EMS to identify which species the snake may be.

• Try and obtain a brief history of the patient if you are a responder. Have they had exposure to antivenin before? Are they allergic to any medications? Do they have a history of heart or kidney malfunction?

• Monitor the airway and vital signs.

• Treat for shock. Don’t try to diagnose shock in the case of a rattlesnake bite, just treat for it in any case. It can’t hurt. Here’s how. Lay the victim down, raise his or her feet (but not the limb that was bitten) and cover him or her with something warm like a sleeping bag or jacket.

some other important tips: check under vehicle if it has been sitting around while you were exploring. carrying a stick or walking staff is useful to check behind tires, or just kick the tires. rattle snakes should rattle, but dont always!

do you have any other tips? post them up here!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: Rattle Snake Bites - Usefull Information

Carry a .410

...On a more serious note, here on the east coast, we have a LOT of snakes, a lot less rattlers than you guys out west do I would assume. As I have only seen a couple of rattlers in the wild over the years, but have seen a LOT of snakes, mostly in the country we wheel/play in we find water moccasins, copperheads, and TONS of non venomous snakes.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

My experience with the mojave greens has been that they don't rattle unless they are already active when you find them. The ones I find sunning will not move or rattle even when you are close. I tried to get one to strike my tire once and it seemdes anoiyed but not agressive lol

And thanks for the post!

.45 ACP Snakeshot

or if you don't live in commiefornia, you can carry The Judge
    My signature

I suggested the Judge to my parents when they were looking for something for inside the house. It's not on the roster but my Dad said he was close to getting one legally through a local FFL but ended up with something else plus some more. I'm not sure how he would have been able to skirt around things but it's a product that looks like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    .45 ACP Snakeshot

or if you don't live in commiefornia, you can carry The Judge
    Thank goodness I dont live in Kommiefornia... I think the judge looks like a fun woods gun, but I have actually been wanting to try some of that .45ACP shot, my LGS has a bunch, and I've been thinking about picking up some. You shoot it?
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    I suggested the Judge to my parents when they were looking for something for inside the house. It's not on the roster but my Dad said he was close to getting one legally through a local FFL but ended up with something else plus some more. I'm not sure how he would have been able to skirt around things but it's a product that looks like fun.
    I think there is a way by making a certain kind of corporation, that you can own stuff like that in CA. It does look like a fun gun to play around with. FYI, since you visit around here quite a bit, I've run into rattlesnakes quite a few times at Montana De Oro on the bluff trail.

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    Thank goodness I dont live in Kommiefornia... I think the judge looks like a fun woods gun, but I have actually been wanting to try some of that .45ACP shot, my LGS has a bunch, and I've been thinking about picking up some. You shoot it?
    I haven't shot it (don't own a .45), but I have a box of it that was given to me. Eventually I'll get to fire it.

The S&W Governor looks fun too

My signature

You know Stover... you DO have a friend that owns a couple of .45's.

iirc - the Govener can also shoot the .410, the 45 LC, and the .45ACP. Definitely looks like a fun gun, anytime you can share a common ammo, its a good thing.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    You know Stover... you DO have a friend that owns a couple of .45's.

iirc - the Govener can also shoot the .410, the 45 LC, and the .45ACP. Definitely looks like a fun gun, anytime you can share a common ammo, its a good thing.
    Well, if you have a couple .45's, then send me one!

Yes, the Governor, is like the Judge and can shoot all those.

My signature

Re: Rattle Snake Bites - Useful Information

I dont think the Judge can shoot the 45 ACP can it?
    -Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast