Thread: Tire carrier License plate light

Tire carrier License plate light

hey all, Im having a tire carrier made, that slides into the reciever hitch, but Im wanting to know what you think I should do for the license plate light ??
    Id like to find some sort of small solar powered LED light, so I dont have to worry about wirering it up but havent found anything and thought, you all would have better ideas or know of where to start looking, or should I just go with the typical license plate light and hard wire it and be done with it?
    Thanks for any help
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Re: Tire carrier License plate light

I can't help with the solar part, but I like these inexpensive LED ones:

superbrightleds.com

I would tap into your trailer wiring for the running lights. Go to the auto parts store and find a license plate light, mount it and run a wire down to the receiver. A small spade connector and ground is all you need to power it and as long as you tap into the correct wires you'll have light when your lights are switched on.
    Since you're having the carrier made ask them what they think. If possible have them drill holes so you can run the wiring inside of the tubing and even through the 2" receiver so that you don't see any wires. When you pull the carrier, unplug your spade and you're good to go.

You could also buy a trailer wire connector and wire your light into it. Plug it in your factory trailer light plug by your hitch. That would make it really easy to disconnect when you remove your tire carrier.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

thanks for the ideas all, and I like the idea of running the wires down inside I would have thought of that, only, AFTER the fact
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz