Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 4Runner due for a face lift?

2013 4Runner due for a face lift?

Hey all,

It's hard to believe the 5th gen 4Runner is about to enter its 4th year of production, and it seems that it is about time for a mid-life upgrade. If the 2013 4Runner has a mid-life upgrade, any ideas what might change?

My thoughts on what could change for the 2013 model:

Exterior:
    -Revised front grill and bumper
    -Revised headlights with projectors and optional HID on LTD models
    -Turn signals relocated from bumper to headlight assemblies.
    -LED DRLs in front bumper (as seen on new Carolla and Prius)
    -Revised rear bumper
    -Revised rear lights with LEDs (hopefully they won't stick out so far)
    -New rim designs from Tacoma offered on 4Runner
    -New colors, maybe Pyrite Mica and Spruce Mica

Interior:
    -Optional rear seat ultra-wide screen DVD system for rear seat passengers on LTD models (same as Sienna)
    -LED accent lighting on interior (probably not likely)

Mechanical:
    -A760 6 speed automatic replaces A750 (not likely, but would be nice)
    -No changed to the 4.0 V6
    -New more fuel efficient engine option (I've read rumors, maybe a re-tuned 3.5 V6 engine. Also not likely, imho)
    -Electric steering

Other:

I'd like to see a new Sport Edition offered. It would be based off the SR5, but uses the hood scoop and smoked lights from the TE. All trim should be color matched, new sport rims standard, and a slightly lowered ride stance. Leather optional.

Any thoughts?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Re: 2013 4Runner due for a face lift?

10K off the price?

id really like to see the lights stick out less.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

WOuld like to see it follow its name instead of being a stationwagon, Should just call it something else altogether.

LED tails and projector lenses are sorely missing
    my 08 4Runner has both of these for gods sake!
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Dan, Good points but very doubtful on a lot of it.

I honestly don't know where to begin to tell you guys.
    But the 5th Gen is going to stay as it body and lens wise.

Maybe in a year or two we will see the projection lens and the LED rear tails, but I am going to tell you right now the bulging lens is here to stay, as shown on a lot of other models.

Dan, up until 06' (05' being the last year) the turn signals have always been in the bumper, to me that is a "4Runner" trait not just a Toyota one, which is reflected in some of there other truck and SUV models.

As far is the Rim options, you can walk into any dealer and go, "I want those rims on that Tacoma on my 4Runner" and sales will bug service to get them switched.

Color is all based on demographic, while those colors would be awesome, if they don't see it selling then there not going to put it on the production line.

The DVD option would be nice, but I think Toyota right now is trying to focus there attention on there eTune system. once they get the iron work out on that then maybe they might focus again on getting other electronics into all Toyota models.

Mechanical wise, I am sure Toyota thinks the A750 is efficient enough for the 4.0l. I find Toyota focus's more on there engine design before transmission, they like to get the refine there engine and emissions before they get on to there MPGs...

I would prefer they stick with the 4.0l or the 2.7l in the 4Runner, adding another option just isn't cost effective, if they do, they will knock off the 4.0l in return for the 3.5l and I would much rather work with the 4.0l imho

The steering is where its at with power assist, and thats about it. Tell you the truth I pray to god the steering stays hydraulic, more electronics make it easy for more stuff to brake, and if/when the power cuts out on those, you feel you need a pry bar to turn the wheel where at least with the hydraulic there is some give...

Sean, we all wish the price tag would be less, but for what they offer, a body on frame platform for what it is its what its worth, my Stepdad paid 32k for is SE model in 02' new, with the price of inflation and what not, its still priced accordingly I think.

^VooDoo^ in my opinion this current gen of the 4Runner is closer to the true 4Runner roots then the 4th gen... Its still capable off road as well ad getting you down the road, which Toyota was always shooting for with the 4Runner. It wasn't till the very last bit of 09' that they even brought back the locker option... AND they brought back the J-Shift transfercase, no more stupid knob and electric motor (except for the LTD cause you know most American are lazy and when it comes to luxury it should just work on its own)... I'd take a 5th gen over a 4th gen any day, and I would gladly hit the trails with it and still be proud to call it a 4Runner. And your not going to see another 2 door SUV option or a removable top from Toyota for a while, if they do, with our luck it will be put under the Scion name because its hip and cool, and will probably resemble something like the Nissan Murano Covertible while is just a beefed up AWD car...

I am sure it will be either this year or next lee for the LED tails, Toyota seems to follow that consistency in the more popular models, the Lexus IS250 didn't get LEDs till 09, and that style was out starting 06...

I predict Toyota will add an additional 7 inches of width to the side marker lights.
    [img width=800 height=418]http://tomsremote.com/mystuff/pics/highlander/ext2.jpg[/img]

I gotta be the only one questioning why the Highlander if expanded in size in just the right places would looks tons better than the Derp-Eyed-MaxHedroom 5th gens?
    [img width=800 height=533]http://www.starzmoviez.com/images/cache/screen_image_377590.jpg[/img]

I've hear similarly on the tuned 3.5 but agree w/ Avy, let me replace idler bearings on a 4.0 all day versus the cramped misaligned 3.5. As for the trans, how about a manual 6-speed that's actually workable? Just a thought.

*Off to put a Highlander body over the 5th-gen Chassis.

The Highlander is growing in size to compete with the ford explorer, though it doesn't have a t-case set up like the explorer its practicalities come in play other places.

I still don't know what Toyota is doing, there stuck between killing off the FJ or offering different packages to keep it alive, just this past Monday we had one on the lot all Bright Red, roof and body, with the TRD wheels and BFG ATs, it was a sick FJ and sold quick, never seen one all red, White, Black, and Green Yes, but not all red

I got tired of the scale tool failing me for the second layer, here's the basic idea, someone should try to do it better so I can see it in finished form.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast