Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Misfire and boggs down when cold, 98 4runner v6

Misfire and boggs down when cold, 98 4runner v6

Ok so, yesterday I started up the truck to go do some errands. Truck started fine, but felt a little shaky. Pulled out of the drive way and drove to the stop sign. when pulling from the stop sign, the engine boggs down and the truck shakes, almost feeling as if it is going to stall. Truck feels shaky when accelerating, but smooths when coasting. once the truck warms up, the symptoms are gone.

same thing happened today. but today it finally flashed the CEL, but it went off after some number of flashes.

some other details:
    i am missing one of the coil pack bolts, which i will replace later today and try again.
    plugs and wires are ~ 5 years old
    my latest smog report shows i am very high in HC

code reader is on its way and should be here tuesday.

to me, it feels like a fuel fault, like its getting too much fuel, flooding, and nearly stalling. this would also explain the high HC in my smog test.

not sure why this corrects itself when its warm.

so avy and i are pretty sure its fuel related. does anyone else have any other ideas? things to test? etc?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: Misfire and boggs down when cold, 98 4runner v6

coil pack bolt is replaced. started the truck and it did not do it again, but it did the same yesterday, bad in the morning, later in the day it was perfectly fine.

im hesitant to start a dismantle until i get the code read.

oil has a fuel smell to it, so i think leaky injector.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Interesting. I'm not sure the lack of a coil bolt would have any effect. How is your gas? I had a friend have similar stalling issues and turns out he had water in his gas.
    It's been raining a lot here and I've noticed black trash bags held down with traffic cones on the lids of the fuel tanks at gas stations. Doesn't give me the warm and fuzzys. I don't need gas and will wait until it drys up if I can.

I'm at the bottom of a tank. ill go get some tomorrow. still doesn't feel like that is it because its fine when warm.

Ignition Coil?
    My signature

im going to go drive it to the gas station and see what it does. either ill get the same thing and be able to describe it better, or my bolt fixed the problem (unlikely)

ok sit-rep:

started the truck, started as usual, ran fine for 30 seconds.
    shifted into reverse, ran fine for 20-30 seconds.
    shakes started as i was backing out of the driveway, so i didnt see what the tach was doing.
    bogged down at first stop sign, but not as bad as before. when it stopped, the engine surged, but that may be because i had my foot harder on the gas this time.
    bogged down a little bit at second stop.
    not at third, and after that it ran fine.

got a full tank of clean, high quality gas.

once the symptoms stopped, the truck ran fantastic from idle, low rpm load climbing a little hill, WOT, etc. its great as long as it is warm.

still cant do much until my tool gets here, so today ill do an oil change and diff fluids, etc. brakes, and maybe rotate the tires.

Did you pull the codes? Could have a code stored in there even though the light isn't on
    My signature

yeah code reader come from amazon tomorrow morning. last time i used an autozone code reader it reset the code before i saw what it was... (probably user error but i dont trust them)

by 12pm tomorrow i should have a really good idea of what is wrong with it.

Cool! I forgot yours needed a code reader. Hopefully it helps and gives you an idea of what's going on
    My signature

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast