Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: oil for True Flow air filter

Re: oil for True Flow air filter

Gas is what I used to clean my motorcycle filter, so hopefully the foam in the TrueFlow is a similar material and won't degrade when exposed to it.

riding dirt bikes in moon dust we dunked the filters in oil and squeezed out the excess. I most certainly was passing filter oil through the engine. in your truck i would try the intake side only first and watch for grains of dirt making it to the clean side of the filter. What does the instructions say that comes with those filters? motocross filter oil must be nearly the same as the truck filter oil.

I spray both sides with oil (True Flow brand). I don't have issues with passing dirt as I do with CEL for my IAC.

The oil in the bottle gets everywhere as you found out troy and its the reason i wont use it. The spray doesnt, it stays on the outside of the filter just fine. I spray the entire filter on mine but its a round filter like a CAI. Might only want to spray the side exposed to the dirty air coming in till you know how its gonna react.

As for the gas, yep it cleans it off good and dries quick. They do make a nice spray that cleans the filters-but believe it or not gas is cheaper. I simply take an old metal bowl, pour a bit of gas in (a cup maybe), stick the filter in and wash it then I squish out the excess and let dry.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

FWIW I thought I would post pics of the factory stuff.

Oil. Says it contains hexane and petroleum distillates.

Cleaner. Also says it contains hexane and petroleum distillates. Also contains 2-butoxyethanol.

Curious Mike:

Just how thick is that stuff? The motorcycle oils (bottle type) are think and gooey like honey.

I forget but I shook the bottle. It's more watery and fluid than thick and gooey. The nozzle hole is pretty small and it's a pump aerosol so it can't be too thick.

Yea, the oil in the bottle def wouldnt work then at all. Would make a gooey mess.

This is what I ended up with from a motorcycle shop. They had PJ1 brand but it was $12.95 for each the cleaner and the oil while this brand was $9.50 and $8.50, respectively.

Both claim they are safe for foam and fabric filters and won't harm the glue media that holds the foam to the frame.

I looked over some of the foam motorcycle filter and they were constructed almost identically to the TrueFlow, right down the frame and mesh inside.

I feel confident this will work exactly the same as the True Flow branded stuff.

Its all the same stuff really, glad you found something that works.

FYI: I never purchase my sprays or oils from the bike shop, seems like everything is double the price as on the net-even with shipping!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast