Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire Carrier by RTI

Re: Tire Carrier by RTI

Pros and cons to all of the designs presented.

If departure angle is a concern then anything connected to the stock hitch is going to get hung up. If it's just to keep the spare to the trail head and then moving it inside the truck then I'd say it doesn't matter. But if you're planning to use this as a mount to permanently keep the spare there then you're going to want to consider the departure angle issues. The 4th gen ass is very low so it already gets hung up on a lot of stuff so just keep that in perspective.

The last design w/ the tire mounted to the driver side is actually not that bad. The tire mount itself sits level w/ the rear bumper so it's definitely higher than your hitch which helps on the departure angle (not sure about the bolted hitch though - defeats the purpose but I see the need for the hitch so go figure).

The only concern on using that rear crossmember/bumper is that it's a very thin piece of metal. Grant it it's squared and not a c-channel so I guess it's ok but I wouldn't want that to be back there long term. I fear the fatigue on that rear crossmember might become an issue (don't quote me cuz I'm not a structural or metallurgical engineer).

If you really want to do it right I'd say just pony up for a rear bumper. I know costs is an issue (we've been been there and done that - you've done it twice with 2 4runners so I know your wallet's gotta be hurtin a lot more than any of us here!).

For an interim deal I think your concept works. I've see plenty of people do something similar. BruceTS (Bruce) has done something similar too. The only difference is that he had his tire tilt down away from the 4runner and not to the side (i.e. like a tail gate but instead a tire gate). I thought he made a thread with photos but I can't find em.

As long as it doesn't come off I think you're in good shape!

Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

No Lance, AFAIK you are exactly dead on. I've *Never* liked the xTerra or 4Runner setup like that. To me it's like putting an elephant on a sheet of toilet paper. At least swap out the tube for something not so thin. Then there's the off-balance effect you need to counter.

~Mike, I like your idea, for mine I'm gonna be running a couple weld beads down the bottom channel and filing them until it fits a bit snugger. I still have memories of coming back from Rubicon with something rattling for 100 miles and me freaking I'd broke something to only find it was my receiver rocking back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi..
    ~Mike, I like your idea, for mine I'm gonna be running a couple weld beads down the bottom channel and filing them until it fits a bit snugger. I still have memories of coming back from Rubicon with something rattling for 100 miles and me freaking I'd broke something to only find it was my receiver rocking back and forth.
    I decided not to weld mine because I carry different items. I have different hitches, a bike rack and a cargo basket and all have different dimensions. If I modify the hole it will only work well with one item. I didn't want to modify the hitches, rack or basket because I wanted them to fit in other vehicles as well.

My little bolts are only in there finger tight. The idea is to close up the hole and keep anything from moving, not holding anything down. When I pulled a trailer it would rattle around so much I could feel the frame in the floor.

For this tire rack it could help it stand up straight and reduce wobble.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12