Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OBA, Help me choose!

OBA, Help me choose!

My little Costco compressor is giving up. It keeps blowing fuses and has gotten slower and slower over the years. I am finally ready to upgrade to a proper OBA setup so I can run air horns, maybe an air locker, small air tools, and be able to air up the tires.

I am looking at the Viair kits, and narrowed it down to 3:

pn 10003: http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/10003.html
    33% duty cycle, 1.38 CFM @ 0psi. Designed for 33" tires. ~ $285

pn 10005: http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/10005.html
    33% duty cycle, 2.56 CFM @ 0psi. Designed for 35" tires. ~ $347

pn 10007: http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/10007.html
    100% duty cycle, 1.66CFM @ 0psi. Designed for 37" tires. ~ $372

The first seems a bit small to me, and I think it would be worth the 60 dollars to go up to the larger compressor of the 10005. But then there is the 100% duty cycle for only 25 more. Is it worth the drop in CFM to have 100% duty cycle?

realistically, this will be used to inflate tires 85%, 10% using a blow gun to clean off dirt or even inflate a mattress or something, 5% air tool use (maybe less), and possibly a front air locker way in the future. I would also use it to power some small-ish air horns and to adjust my airbags.

OR, should I go piece together a set similar to this? I priced out the big components of the kit, and it is actually a decent value to buy it as a kit compared to a la carte.

Opinions? Thoughts? hurtful words?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Have you looked at the mv90? or a York? The mv90 is not in the same quality class as the viairs, but its also much cheaper. My buddy did have his did and is on a warrenty unit now. Mine has been good. the air filter system is dumb though.

I looked into the york. Since I plan on adding a second battery as well as upgrading the alternator in the near future, that pretty much prevents me from installing the york.

as for the MV90, the problem I see is the very high amp draw. at 45 amps, it is double the draw of either of the viair compressors I am looking at. It looks like the flow is higher too. I'll have to look into it more deeply.

Thanks Troy!

I intend to install a tank and all the goodies.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 06-10-2013 at 06:45 PM.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I looked into the york. Since I plan on adding a second battery as well as upgrading the alternator in the near future, that pretty much prevents me from installing the york.
    Hog wash!

We just walked in the door but I have two, maybe three cents to add but I have to get the kids down first. Standby.

before you do, I am looking to do a dual battery setup similar to: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...n-1997-4runner

and add the GM alternator. Is there really space for it next to the batteries? or should I install my 2nd battery where the spare tire was?

The 100% duty cycle sounds cool, but I doubt you'll need it. Probably the only reason you would need it is for group wheeling where somebody else doesn't have a compressor, but most people have one. Even if you do need to air somebody else up, going over the 33% duty cycle once in a while isn't going to hurt it.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

that was my thought Steve, but 25 bucks for the 100% duty cycle sounds nice! I just wonder how important the difference in CFM is going to be? It looks like the heavy duty actually airs up faster than the constant duty.

Let me start here. I made a bracket and installed a York into my '92 Chevy truck along with 12 gallons worth of tank. I loved it. It would do anything and was totally handy. When I bought the 4Runner it was something I wanted to do right away but didn't have the time or resources to fit it in the much smaller engine compartment so I bought an MV50. I've used my MV50 about 5 times and while it does the job it does it really slowly, loudly and half the time I was waiting for it to give up the ghost. It was purchased purely as a temporary item and for all I know it's in my attic somewhere.

I found a guy making a York bracket for the 3.4 and bought it right away. I was renting place and lacked a welder so it was one of my only options and I was fine with going that route. Now adays I'd make a bracket and call it good. I use my York for blowing up and dusting off things more than I do for airing up, it's that convenient. During Memorial weekend I blew up 2 rafts, air mattresses and pool toys. Everything is hard mounted, easy to use and ready to go with the flip of a switch. No janky hood opening, hot wires and proprietary air chuck.

Now, on to my 2 cents about other options. Prior to the York I had thought about getting a CO2 setup. Hands down a nice tank with Powertank chuck and line can't be beat. Youtube powertank and you'll see it inflate a 35 or 37 inch tire like it was a kids balloon. I passed on it because of the cost of refills, space needed inside of the vehicle and the fact it's high pressure vessel. As it is I can barely fit the family and gear inside of the 4Runner. It's nice because it's got balls and can be removed from the vehicle and used else where.

As for electric systems they are no different than an MV50 to me. The get hot, pull a ton of amps and usually run an oil less compressor (Puma style). For the wiring needed, noise, size and cost I want more CFM, heck even 1.0 cfm would be nice. 100% duty cycle units, wiring, tank, etc add up, plus you need a place to put it. Even the medium Viairs are pretty stately.

Back to the York. I've bought 4 over the years from a Volvo wrecking yard. The one on the 4Runner was born the same year I was, cost $25, pulls 3 amps when engaged, at 1,000 RPM it puts out 6.94 CFM (my shop compressor doesn't even put out that much), is rebuildable, is 100% duty cycle and is engine driven. Our idle is less than 1,000 rpm but give it a slight push of the pedal or stick a pencil in the throttle cable pulley or turn on the AC and you've got more than idle. Even at idle I can fill 6, 265/75/16 tires in the time it takes an MV50 to do maybe 1.5 tires. I've got a tiny 0.5 gallon tank because that's all I could fit under the 4Runner. If you've got more space you can fit a larger tank but it's not necessary to fill tires, inflate toys or dust off things.

Continued in next post.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 06-10-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Just to be devil's advocate, have you considered a do-it-yourself "Powertank" (a.k.a. CO2 cylinder) setup? You could put together a 10# tank setup for under $200 easy ;-) I carry mine all over the place and love it!

Lucky for everyone here I wrote a how-to to make it easy: http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthre...2-on-a-budget!
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

So onto dual batteries.
    I would try to get both under the hood for simplicity and cost. It's easier and cleaner to install plus you're running less wire and have everything in one place. There is room under the hood if you move things around. Just to do the York I had to rotate my battery and slide the items on my driver side fender towards the firewall, check out my write up.

Below are some pictures from the internet. It maybe ErikB's early days 4Runner but I don't remember. He's got a York, 3 batteries, Premieir Power Welder, supercharger, high output alternator, 5 speed (clutch master cylinder) and a winch. No doubt it's packed but it shows you can do it. I'm pretty sure he quite a bit of item delete as well as relocate but you're thinking about half of the stuff packed in here.

This is where the Hog Wash comes in.

Sure there is some custom bracketry going on but really it shouldn't be that hard. You might need to alter intake, etc but it's still gotta be cheaper and better in the long run.

Again this is just my 2.5 cents and it's pictures from the internet but you're in engineering grad so I at least know you can over think it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast