Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Camper van shopping

Mcmaster and Grainger also have the stuff, but I have no idea if the cost is competitive. If you've got a grainger store nearby, you can pick up from them so there's no shipping costs.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

eBay is also a decent source, especially if you can live with shorter lengths.

I hear the killer for this stuff is the brackets and hardware. If you are able to make your own, that would save considerable cost.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I like the 80/20... makes me think about some mods to the LX... I probably won't... but it makes me think about it.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    In my area the closest is Bay Area, and not wanting to drive there I ordered locally from Fastenal. It's more expensive through them but my original order was small volume so it was cheaper to order from them than paying shipping from the other companies. For larger orders I will probably drive to the Bay and perhaps harass Bob while I'm down there.
    Kenny G,

Welcome anytime! Where's the store location?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5 View Post
    Kenny G,

Welcome anytime! Where's the store location?

Bob
    80/20 itself is back east but their competitor T-Slots has distributors in San Jose and Milpitas.

Speaking of camper vans, I just returned from my first two week trip. Van worked great.

My sister's new 100-series:

A 10/10 boondocking site:

Crater Lake with no people? For a while I thought they closed the park and forgot to tell me.

Reasonably scenic ocean

Reasonably scenic waterfall

Big trees

Seeing this for years on IG, finally got to see this slab of rock in person.

Liquid hot magma

One of many campgrounds

Thanks to Mike for helping plan this trip. Now who wants to come along next year?

I'm down! Great pics!

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Here's a little more 80/20 work. Did I mention I love this stuff? It fixes all of the deficiencies I have working with wood. It doesn't warp, split, tear-away when cutting, connections are 90-degrees every time. Granted, not everyone is as terrible working with wood as I am. It is stout A.H. For my battery box I used standard 1" material. This stuff is 1.5" and is the "Lite Smooth" profile, which means you can order it with 4, 3, 2 or 1 slot. That allows you to make a more aesthetically-pleasing face without the grooves.

Since that photo was taken the drawer slides and a couple of drawer boxes installed. Drawer slides are on the top-ten list of DIY RV conversion nightmares. I experienced no such thing. In a wood cabinet if you're off by 1-2 mm (not hard to do) and your drawer slides aren't perfectly parallel, you can't just move the drawer slides that little bit because your screws will fall back into their original holes. With 80/20 you just loosen the fasteners and give it a slide budge. Done. I am camping the next couple of weekends, but after that the bare walls are finally going to start getting covered up.

This stuff would be perfect for a raised bed platform/storage drawer setup in a 4Runner/LC, etc.

I have half a design for an 80/20 platform for the LX.

Looking great! Love the YouTube videos!

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post

This stuff would be perfect for a raised bed platform/storage drawer setup in a 4Runner/LC and LEXUS vehicles, etc.
    Fixed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345