Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will a 255/85/16 Fit Spare Location??

Will a 255/85/16 Fit Spare Location??

Anyone know if a 255/85/16 bfg-KM2 will fit in the stock spare location under the truck? (02 4runner) Thinking it might be a good idea to have a full size spare....
    2002 4Runner SR5&nbsp; /&nbsp; 3.4V6&nbsp; /&nbsp; 4WD&nbsp; /&nbsp; 4-Speed Automatic&nbsp; /&nbsp; Sonoran Steel System 7.2 Lift Kit&nbsp; /&nbsp; BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 Tires&nbsp; 255/85/R16&nbsp; /&nbsp; Stubbs Welding Standard 1.5&quot; Rock Sliders&nbsp; / ARB Bumper / Safari Snorkel / BudBuilt Front Skid / PIAA 520 SMR 6&quot; Driving Lights /&nbsp; Deckplate Mod&nbsp; /&nbsp; K&amp;N Air Filter&nbsp; /&nbsp; OEM Bug Deflector&nbsp; /&nbsp; Husky Liners&nbsp; /&nbsp; Thule rack / Cobra 75 WX ST / Outdoor Logic Drifter Antenna Mount / Rugged Ridge Hawse Fairlead License Plate <br />Photos &amp; write-ups: http://frohbego.blogspot.com/

Re: Will a 255/85/16 Fit Spare Location??

doubt it, its not the width of the tire thats is the issue its the height, I don't think the frame rails are wide enough and if you have a hitch I don't think its far enough backward out of the way to fit

However if your wanting to carry a spare but don't want to put it on the roof or in the cargo are, look at a CBI hitch mount tire carrier, it puts the spare on the back like the FJ but tilts down so you can still access the rear hatch, the only thing left to do then is relocate the license plate, and fro $20 at pepboys I can do that for you easily

get an OBA, or a power tank system, and carry a deflated spare in the stock location.

-Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

i have OBA. Even if its super flat underneath it will still inflate right?
    thanks!
    2002 4Runner SR5&nbsp; /&nbsp; 3.4V6&nbsp; /&nbsp; 4WD&nbsp; /&nbsp; 4-Speed Automatic&nbsp; /&nbsp; Sonoran Steel System 7.2 Lift Kit&nbsp; /&nbsp; BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 Tires&nbsp; 255/85/R16&nbsp; /&nbsp; Stubbs Welding Standard 1.5&quot; Rock Sliders&nbsp; / ARB Bumper / Safari Snorkel / BudBuilt Front Skid / PIAA 520 SMR 6&quot; Driving Lights /&nbsp; Deckplate Mod&nbsp; /&nbsp; K&amp;N Air Filter&nbsp; /&nbsp; OEM Bug Deflector&nbsp; /&nbsp; Husky Liners&nbsp; /&nbsp; Thule rack / Cobra 75 WX ST / Outdoor Logic Drifter Antenna Mount / Rugged Ridge Hawse Fairlead License Plate <br />Photos &amp; write-ups: http://frohbego.blogspot.com/

I was mostly joking. But as long as it is on the bead, it will be fine if you want to risk it. maybe WAY udnerinflated it would work.
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

I wouldn't do it, Think about it, a 33" tire your inflating from nearly nothing in it, plus you don't have the pressure keeping the bead seated, if dirt get up in thre you could have a hard time keeping the spare inflated

i run my 33's on the trail with 11 pounds in them... you could probably keep a bead on with 7 or 8 pounds if it was just sitting under the truck instead of wheeling it.
    -Chris

the mounting system for the spare puts force on the tire sidewall as the rim is pulled up towards the frame, this could cause you to lose a bead over a few thousand bumpy miles.

for me, if this is a DD, an under or uninflated spare is worthless. for a trail truck, you can get away with it, but i wouldn't do it on a daily driver. usually flats happen at the worst possible times, and air sources typically fail when you need them most.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    the mounting system for the spare puts force on the tire sidewall as the rim is pulled up towards the frame, this could cause you to lose a bead over a few thousand bumpy miles.

for me, if this is a DD, an under or uninflated spare is worthless. for a trail truck, you can get away with it, but i wouldn't do it on a daily driver. usually flats happen at the worst possible times, and air sources typically fail when you need them most.
    Everything in this post is why I was mostly joking about the under inflated spare. If it doesn't fit, which I don't think it does, I would look at a CBI tire carrier, or doing the 1st gen roll bar mod on the inside of your runner and making a tire mount there.
    -Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast