Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brake shoes keep unadjusting

Re: Brake shoes keep unadjusting

I've always seen the tech manuals to either say:

A) Start with LSPV, and then work around from farthest from the master cylinder to the closest.
    B) Farthest from Master Cylinder to closest, LSPV last.

Seems to me you will be better off starting with the LSPV though.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

According to the Toyota FSM,
    You should bleed the Master first (IF it has gone low or dry)
    Then you bleed the wheels. (the factory has no set location on where to to start and end, I would do farthest to closest)
    Then the LSPV or as Toyota puts it LSP & BV (Load Sensing Proportioning and By-Pass Valve)

Hmm. Wonder since the master got low if I should bleed it. Argh..more work. I suppose if I was to cycle enough fluid thru it (I really dont want to bench bleed it) that it should get the air out. Did it that way before. Or I could reverse the fluid thru I suppose with the vac brake bleeder.

btw, how the heck you been Avy? I havent talked to you in ages!
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

FWIW - I have had some SKETCHY brake systems to work on over the years and have NEVER bled a master cylinder, not even a brand new one, dry out of the box.
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

Marc, I have been good, busy trying to make some money to afford to actually drive the 4Runner anymore, but thats rare...

Chris, its touch an god, but alot of us bench bleed and bleed the master in the vehicle when we replace it.

Especially on the 01-02 4Runners and even further with the brake accumulator, run those dry and ruin it and thats another 1500 for a brake master....

Stepdad's 02 might need one but right now she is braking good ::Knocks on wood::

I been driving the truck more and more, brakes feel pretty dang good. Honestly I bet the drums are worn b/c I slapped the old ones on b/c I feared the news ones got warped.

IDK Ill have to bleed the lines when I get a chance and throw on those drums..see what happens.

Avy, I hear ya. just driving the 20 mile round trip to work is killing me! Ill be doing a 50 mile a day commute 4x a week for school and then that same 20 mile commute for work 2x a week come the fall. I pray gas prices go down!

you guys are making me feel even worse about my 80 mile round trip to school. ouch...

glad the brakes are feeling better. still very strange!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Indeed strange...

Shame the other axle wouldnt stop leaking, the brakes were super good when I had that one. IDK. Same thing happened to a ford work van I once swapped a rear into-brakes were never as good as they were with the new rear.

I have a 74 mi round trip to work.

Nothing else to add. *looks around for his pirate flip off smiley*

EDIT: AH-HA!!
    -Chris

I'm with Sean, I drive a minimum of 80 miles a day...

The trip isn't really the problem it is work and it being SLOW with big jobs.
    I can do oil change and rotates all day but still doesn't add up enough to give me an 8 hour day....

thats why I have time to linger here and other forums and try to provide Tech help to those who need it since I have the resources...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast