Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan's North American Journey

Dan's North American Journey

Hey all,

So, I've been on the road for nearly a month, and I thought I should go ahead and start a thread about my trip. Sorry for taking so long to get this going. I know some of you have been waiting for some updates.

Right now I'm in Lincoln, Nebraska visiting family and enjoying the food from Valentino's and Taco Inn. Over the course of the next few days, I'll try to catch you up with my progress thus far.

A North American Journey

The plan? I don't really have one. My contract at work expired a couple months ago, so I figured I'd take the opportunity to do a trip across the U.S. This trip has two goals: First, while on the road, I'll be searching for a jobs hopefully within my field of study (GIS), and, second, I'd like to see and experience some of the great things this country has to offer.

Between the ages of 8 and 12, my family (my parents, my sister, my brother, and myfself) spent those 4 years traveling around the States. Anybody remember the TV show Promised Land on CBS? That was us, except for we didn't have a Suburban and Airstream camper...we had a 1984 Buick Century with a ugly, brown car-top-carrier. The five of us had a blast, and I'm excited to experience life on the road once again.

I left North Carolina on June 10th. From there I stopped in Norfolk, VA; Washington DC; Chicago, IL; Oshkosh, Wi; Lincoln, NE; and a few other places in between. I'll update you all with the places I've been thus far, and here's a very rough outline of my upcoming schedule:

July 10-20: Head northwest from Nebraska to the following areas:
    -Mount Rushmore
    -Badlands
    -Grand Tetons
    -Yellowstone
    -Glacier NP
    -Waterton Lakes International Peace Park (Canadian side of Glacier)
    July 20-Aug 5: Head south from Montana to the following areas:
    -Drive around northern UT and visit what I can there.
    -Rocky Mountain National Park
    -Drive around CO
    -Maybe do the Alpine Loop in CO
    -Moab
    -Arches National Park
    -Canyonlands National Park
    Aug 5-9: Visit friends in El Paso, TX. Maybe drive to Big Bend.
    August 10-30: Stay somewhere around Flagstaff, Prescott, or Sedona, AZ. Visit Grand Canyon sometime in there.
    September 1st-?: Stay in Southern California. Visit Yosemite sometime and DV if not too hot.
    September 21-24: Ultimate Yota Pismo Jamboree
    October 5-7: BrickCon LEGO convention in Seattle, WA (unsure if I will make it)
    October sometime: Fly back to NC, then to the Philippines to help my sister and her family move there. (unsure of this as well)

After October: I have no clue. If I have a job lined up, great! If not, then I may settle down somewhere out West (southern CA or, more likely, northern AZ) or maybe head back to NC and settle down in the Raleigh area.

Continue reading below for the updates, and I'll try to update whenever I can bum internet off a restaurant or hotel.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Last edited by DHC6twinotter; 04-09-2013 at 10:58 PM.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Re: Dan's North American Journey

Great to read about your travels. Hard to believe it's already been a month.

We can't wait to hear more!!!

Glad it is going well for you, and we look forward to seeing you in September!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Post 1: Virginia

I664/Monitor-Marrimac bridge-tunnel

June 10th: I left Fayetteville, NC and headed up to Norfolk, VA to meet my brother and his wife. I've always liked the Hampton Roads region, and thought all the underwater tunnels were pretty awesome.

This area is also rich in history, and I drove up to Jamestown and Yorktown to check out some of the historical stuff.

Jamestown Archeological Dig

In 1994, an archeological project, The Jamestown Rediscovery, was started. A few days before I arrived, the archeologists discovered horse bones in the remains of a cellar. The ribs had been butchered, and the archeologists believe the horse was eaten during the winter of 1609.

Jamestown Church

Archeologists also recently discovered the remains of old posts around the church tower. The church and tower were built in 1639, and archeologists think the old posts were used to construct the tower.The tower is the only remaining part of the church, and one of the oldest European built structures in the U.S.

Yorktown, VA

I also made a short trip to Yorktown. This area has become a tourist trap, and I didn't stay very long. They did have some great old houses, and some still had canon balls wedged in the walls.
    Last edited by DHC6twinotter; 04-09-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

That was us, except for we didn't have a Suburban and Airstream camper...we had a 1984 Buick Century with a ugly, brown car-top-carrier.
    Sounds like a car I would like.

It would be great if you moved out this way, we will introduce you to some nice wheeling trails and scenery. See Mike's post and write up for Signal Peak on here.

Thanks guys! Hopefully I can make it to Pismo this year...it'll be great to see you all!

[b]Post 2: Virginia to Illinois

From Yorktown and Jamestown, I drove up to the northern VA and stayed overnight in a rest area off of I66. This was my first night sleeping in the 4Runner, and, despite it being warm, I was pretty comfortable. The Shikibuton foam mattress I have is a perfect fit for the 4Runner and provides adequate cushion for my 250 pound frame. While at the rest area, some guy with his motorcycle spent several hours sleeping a few parking spots over from me. He slept on the ground next to the motorcycle. No sleeping bag or anything. I felt pretty happy to have my enclosed space with my nice mattress.

The next day, I drove over to the Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum at the Dulles Airport just to the west of Washington DC. It's an amazing museum.

Lockheed Martin F-35B engine and lift fan

Space Shuttle Discovery

The F-35B engine and lift fan display was one of the highlights for me, as well as the space shuttle Discovery and the B-29. I'm also a fan of radial and rotary (the piston type) engines, so the engine displays were really interesting as well.

After visiting the Udvar Hazy Center, I visited a good friend, Bruce, and his wife, Helena, in Bethesda, MD. I've known Bruce since I was 5, and it was really great to see them again.

June 13, I left Bethesda, MD and started to make my way to Wheeling, Il for a LEGO Convention.

I hit my first major climb on I68 in Maryland. Mountain driving is great, and I was excited to finally be in some hills. I pulled off to a rest area at the top of Sideling Hill to take some pictures, like the one above.

After I parked and took in the view for a few minutes, I noticed smoke coming out from under the 4Runner...d'oh!

Gotta leave them hanging till the next post. Looks like you're having a good time of things, good luck and stay safe
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

This is an amazing trip Dan, I do envy you!
    Good luck and stay safe and keep us posted!
    Hope the 4Runner is doing alright

Until I see a bug splattered windshield and a dirty Runner I call b.s.

Sweet pics, wish I could travel what you're getting to.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast