Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: paddlenbike's maintenance/upgrade log

paddlenbike's maintenance/upgrade log

I've been wanting to start a maintenance/build-up thread for years now, so as I make changes or upgrades to the 4Runner I plan to post them here.

July 2012, 117,213 mi.

Original front brake rotors finally warped so I installed new Brembo blanks from Amazon and Toyota pads. The upper ball joints have been weeping grease so I cleaned everything up and will start monitoring the grease situation.

The Brembos appear to be constructed as well as the OEM Toyota ones and they are nearly 1/2 the cost.

Ball joints "look" okay. Cleaned excess grease and will monitor.

Everything under here looks good except the stock skid plates, they're getting beat pretty bad.

Needed maintenance:
    re-torque SC & tensioner
    bleed clutch fluid
    lube universal joints
    pass side rubber fender liner missing

Re: paddlenbike's maintenance/upgrade log

No Tundra Upgrade?
    Ball Joints don't look to bad at all, I have seen plenty seap for long periods of time.
    Unless its leaking badly and has play its not to much of a concern, it it starts to have any play then def change it.

My brakes are strong, so I didn't see the need. If I ever have braking issues I will certainly look toward that upgrade.

Is it usually the upper or lower ball joints that fail on these?

Lower are usually ones to fail since they are the load bearing Ball Joint.

Navigator

if the lowers fail more, why don't companies make an easy uniball upgrade like they do for the uppers? (TC, Camburg, All-Pro, etc)
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

uniball is very subject to dirt and debris entering the sockets. on a UCA, this is usually just dust, dirt, mud. on the lowers its more of the same, but some larger particles are more likely, as well as physical damage from hard objects. uniballs are hard to boot (especially if not from the manufacturer, but a 3rd party)

also, it's not like they fail all the time, but they are much more likely to fail than the uppers.

and avi is right, the lowers take the weight of the vehicle in 3 dimensions, the uppers only control in 2 dimensions, and do not hold the weight of the vehicle.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

just did the brembos w/oem pads on sunday and they are great! had the same conclusion- don't tow much, don't brake hard (use the trans for braking a lot)- they get the job done just fine.
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
    use the trans for braking a lot
    Just remember brakes are a lot cheaper than trannies and clutches.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

About to say the same thing Chris, my front pump in the auto is whining like a pig.
    I don't tow at all, and I we all brake alot here.

Another reason I asked why not is my stepdads runner has brembo rotors.
    Before the last brake change they started to pulsate so I had to cut them true.
    My stepdad is far from the heavy braking type so I was surprised to find that the brembo's did this.

When I can I will be parting together the swap for him.

I am planning a tundra swap in the future, but figured I would do with Brembo blanks for the tundra.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast