Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: End of an era? Jetta Sportwagen might be the replacement

Re: End of an era? Jetta Sportwagen might be the replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    supercharged 1gr must be a fun ride.. considering the 1gr stock has the power of the supercharged 5vz.
    The 2013 4.0 makes 235 hp to a stock SC'd 3.4's 270 hp. The 4.0 has 266 ft lbs of torque at 4000 RPMs compared to a SC'd 3.4's 270 ft lbs, but the 3.4's torque curve is flat and makes something like 90% of the peak torque at 1800 RPMs. That's without fuel system upgrades.

New things to check out for the new year:

- Power steering groaning like an old man esp on cold days. Lock to lock, it groans LOUD. And yes I checked the fluid, its at max

- Transmission whining. Sounds like a muted supercharger

With a new girlfriend who lives over an hour away, this f'g Jetta Sportwagen is looking really good right now. Oh yeah, VW seemed to iron out the HPFP problem in the 2012 models. 2010 was the worst, gradually fixed it during 2011.

My Rack has a leak but my fluid is still on max, I would check to see if your steering rack is leaking.

If not you might want to look into a new power steering pump, not too expensive after core and not too hard to do imho.

Can't remember, is yours an auto or stick?

Yotafun,

Yah good idea on the steering rack leak. I'm too freaking busy to deal with this so i'll be dropping it off at the mechanic tomorrow.

As some of you may know, I am a bit of an Audi/VW guy. Over the past 8 years I have owned 3. A 2005 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t 6spd manual that I dumped 25k into or so. Had it for 2.5 years and 20k miles. Loved that car. Never an issue. Damn do I miss it! I also owned a 2005 VW GLI 1.8t 6sp manual. That one only lasted for 7 months. No issues, but probably didn't keep it long enough to make much of a call on that one. Lastly, I currently own a 2005 VW Touareg V6. Bought it early in 2006 with 15k miles on it. Today it has 68k miles. I hasn't really had any problems. Brake job at 45k miles. Driveshaft at 55k miles (known issue, carrier bearing failure). Replaced some cracked vacuum lines about 6 months ago. And thats it. Car is solid.

So with all that said, here is a quick summarization of it all. VWs made in Mexico are no bueno for the long haul. VWs made is Germany, solid. The difference in build quality is huge. So if you want to go Euro, don't cheap out on a Mexican version.

Additionally, European cars are going to require a little more TLC when compared to Toyotas or Hondas. Its just the nature of the beast. So if you're not willing to make the commitment, stay away.

*Disclaimer*

The way I wrote this may have made me sound like an ass. Well, I am a bit of an ass. Regardless of such fact, take what I wrote lightly. Mexico made VWs are still good cars. German made are indeed better, but not everyone wants to pay that price tag. Pretty damn steep. The thing I always tell people is this. Open and close the door on a Mexican VW. Then do the same on a German made VW. The build quality is immediately apparent. Anyways, enough of my BS. Carry on...
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

Is there a way to tell what VWs are built in Mexico or Germany? Is there a different digit in the VIN to go by?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Mexico = 3A-3W Mexico
    Germany = SN-ST Germany

The gas JSW are made in Mexico. i have a feeling the TDI version is too.

the mech did a flush of the power steering system and refilled. no more sound, but the true test will be tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5
    Mexico = 3A-3W Mexico
    Germany = SN-ST Germany

The gas JSW are made in Mexico. i have a feeling the TDI version is too.

Thanks, Bob. Good to know!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

yah just look up VIN code explanation on google

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456