Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: End of an era? Jetta Sportwagen might be the replacement

Re: End of an era? Jetta Sportwagen might be the replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5
    Ken, what's the main beef with TDIs? I know the common rail injection thing was a big deal when it came out, but it is definitely a departure from the traditional pre combustion chamber design like my old biodiesel Benz.
    I had the discussion in August when we were planning to buy a TDI, and that's when my Uncle said that several of the Kenworth truck engineers had TDIs and they were all having issues with the engine, I know the high pressure fuel pump being one of them. I will have to re-address the issue with him, apparently TDIs became the "don't do it this way" talk of all the diesel engineers. It's a bummer because it's still the car we like most. We want a wagon with fun driving dynamics, good mileage and something that will last at least 200,000 miles without expensive repairs--the VW has all of those traits except that last important item.

egad, this is really some food for thought. thanks brian and ken.

We were initially going to buy the car with a 100,000 mile warranty, hoping that the HPFP problem would present itself before the warranty was up. But the more research we did, the more problems we discovered with this car. The cam problem happens at higher mileage, when our warranty would have been over. I honestly think you would be money ahead to fix everything on the 4Runner, at least it's a reliable foundation.

Wow, its amazing to read all these testimonials on the VW.

My neighbor across the street from me is a huge TDI fanatic, but of the older MKIV (1999-05) body Jettas.
    He had a 10' Jetta TDI sport wagon, that thing was awesome to drive, but he got rid of it because he couldn't run his bio diesel in it, and he could build an older TDI a lot better with the money he was spending on it.

He currently has an 05' TDI that was an auto that he did a manual trans swap in (cause lets face it the older Auto's in the VWs where just horrible).
    He has been driving it, and now his daughter has it, the only thing that has gone on it so far is the Injector pump, he replaced it himself, not that hard to do and is still driving it.

I know that doesn't pertain to much to the year you are looking but just a thought if you really want a TDI, the only thing I would be weary of with that gen is the electrical issues (his son has an 02' and the car has a mind of its own)

As far as another alternative, I like the Venza that Lance suggested as a city car, as far as its off-road capabilities, 19" or 20" rims just don't sound great since there is also no side wall on the tires.

I know you believe that Toyota's SUV line is cluttered, but its not to bad, I would def consider a new Highlander as a replacement if you MUST get rid of the 4Runner, and the hybrid option is not to bad either, really fun and comfortable to drive and a little more roomier then the 3rd Gen.

Be interested to see what you end up with but I would have to agree on one thing most have said here, Keep the 4Runner, fix it up and then if its still to much get another DD something cheap with a manual, I am looking to unload my Camry and pick up a 97-02 body style, great on gas and never have major issues.

Speaking of the new toyotas (and not to thread hijack) but: Something interesting keeps happening with the ones I go out to.

The key fob stops responding to the ignition. It will open the doors or whatever but nothing happens when you hit the start button. Sometimes if the person has another key it works, other times it wont do anything.

Also had a few hybrids refuse to run right. Engine turns over, move car 5 feet shuts off. Over and over, its pretty funny.

Care to shine some light on this Avy?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

After reading this thread... I've decided to keep my 08 Carrolla S.
    Cupholder Mod

Marc, thats a topic for another thread, there is a whole thing I could go over on how the keys work or how the hybrids function now that I am not going to flood this thread with.

Jrallan26 - That is a wise idea

new thread: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...=10247.new#new

Im very curious Avy.

Sorry to hijack bob.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

well after talking with one more friend who owned a passat for 6 years, i've decided ot give up on the TDIs and VW. unsolicited, i asked my friend to tell me of his experince with his passat. basically it ran really well for the first 3-4 years and then everything went to pot after that. constant maintenance and parts were really expensive, he said. mirrors Brian's experience (above) but not as bad.

Probably a good call, Bob. Although, I realize it's disappointing when you find a car you like only to find out their reliability is shit.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast