Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: 3rd gen love, 5th gen junk?

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    I would love to get into one of those but I don't think u could part with my 3rd gen on top of it. I dd mine and I never get tired of driving it....except maybe traffic jams in LA.
    Ya, that's going to be the hard part for me (this is my 3rd one and my favorite) but what I had planned for it I figured it be better to put my money towards something a little newer.
    2000 Toyota 4runner with some goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    Fenrisx, I'll race you lol!
    I'm do for a promotion soon and a nice pay raise, and there is a TRDPro sitting on the local dealer lot that I at least see twice a week when I go to lunch thats just screaming my name lol!
    Haha... you'll probably win! Once I've got my down payment together I will still have to find the one I want! Looking for a low-miles '10-'13 black Trail might take some time. I might just end up going the new route though, but the price tag on those TRDPro's are a bit steep for my wallet! A new Trail is pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ttora4runner View Post
    I just bought a 2010 Trail Edition last week. The 2010-13 look a lot better than the newer ones.

My 02 4runner will be up for sale soon.
    I agree! I like the old style a bit better, but just barely. I think long term I may end up liking the updated front better though. I wonder what interior updates were made in the '14+ that may make it more desirable than the '13-. (edit: I think I may actually like the '14+ a little more now)

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    I would love to get into one of those but I don't think u could part with my 3rd gen on top of it. I dd mine and I never get tired of driving it....except maybe traffic jams in LA.
    I feel you there Krypto!
    Could never part with my 3rd gen...

Now my 5th Gen Camry is another story lol!
    If I always thought the same thing, but I really haven't enjoyed driving mine lately. It's also starting to need a lot of things done to it...
    Last edited by fenrisx; 01-11-2015 at 03:22 PM.

I wish though, I really want a new vehicle but we need a house first, and I really need something with a bed.
    First will be the house and then next will probably be an FX4 Ford F150 (year and drive-train yet to be determined).

New route would probably be best due to better warrenty coverage, also shoot to get the Toyota Extra Care extends factory warranty to 10 years 100k.

I didn't know there was a change in the interior from 13' to 14' what was the difference?

I feel your pain on the needing a lot done to it, at 222K mine is in the same way, My front bearings finally gave up the ghost (time for manual hub swap lol), and driving a modified truck everyday gets tiring in my mind.

But the phrase "distance makes the heart grow fonder", the less I drive it, the more I fall in love with driving it all over again when I do get in it lol

I wish though, I really want a new vehicle but we need a house first, and I really need something with a bed.
    First will be the house and then next will probably be an FX4 Ford F150 (year and drive-train yet to be determined).

New route would probably be best due to better warrenty coverage, also shoot to get the Toyota Extra Care extends factory warranty to 10 years 100k.

I didn't know there was a change in the interior from 13' to 14' what was the difference?

I feel your pain on the needing a lot done to it, at 222K mine is in the same way, My front bearings finally gave up the ghost (time for manual hub swap lol), and driving a modified truck everyday gets tiring in my mind.

But the phrase "distance makes the heart grow fonder", the less I drive it, the more I fall in love with driving it all over again when I do get in it lol
    Oh, I'm not sure if there was an interior change or not.. I just assume as much. They usually tweak things inside when they do the mid-gen refresh. Buying new would definitely be the way to go, but I'm not sure I want a payment that big. We'll see. I was planning to get a house first as well, but still undecided on what school district my girls are going to so I'm going to wait until that's decided before buying a house.

Quote Originally Posted by fenrisx View Post
    Oh, I'm not sure if there was an interior change or not.. I just assume as much. They usually tweak things inside when they do the mid-gen refresh. Buying new would definitely be the way to go, but I'm not sure I want a payment that big. We'll see. I was planning to get a house first as well, but still undecided on what school district my girls are going to so I'm going to wait until that's decided before buying a house.
    Gotcha.
    I think they changed a few things like the steering wheel and way the gauges look.
    I feel you on the payments, I guess with me not being at a dealer anymore, what ever I plan on buying if its not normal wear and tear I don't want to have to touch it, I guess that makes me lazy but with apartment living and not being able to work on my own vehicles at the new job I am at I want to keep any repair cost I can down to a minimum.

Looking for a house in two years with a garage big enough to put a lift in so I can start doing my own work, even started watching craigslist for a used tire machine and balance machine and brake lathe, that would at least give me the bare essentials to do some side work, eventually get a press and learn to weld and maybe I can make some cash to afford that new 4Runner lol!

I am sick of working on a vehicle every weekend (not including rebuilding the 4runner). 3 or 4 old cars in the fleet and you start to spend every free moment fixing every minor issue that pops up.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I am sick of working on a vehicle every weekend (not including rebuilding the 4runner). 3 or 4 old cars in the fleet and you start to spend every free moment fixing every minor issue that pops up.
    I feel your pain, it sucks, its tiring, thats why a new car would be awesome, especially with a lot of car companies offering free service for the first 25k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    That's why I keep my family/wife car much newer than my own. I don't have a lot of work maintenance wise on the 4runner since the po kept up the maintenance nicely. There's a small seep on the oil pan but it hasn't gotten to the point where dropping the diff and pan would be worth it. I will probably take care of it at the next oil change though. I will admit though my upper and lower ball joints are coming soon and my steering rack will be shortly after I think. None of them are bad by any means but I think I can expect them in the next 12-18 months. Good thing I just throw a little in an account just for that stuff. Steering racks aren't cheap.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

When my wife and I both had older Volvos, all I did was work on cars. I got so sick of working on them that we decided to dump both Volvos and get two new cars. Neither my wife nor I had ever bought anything new before. My wife's 1992 Volvo 940 turbo held really well and while it had a lot of things starting to go on it, that car was built like a tank and was one of those rare vehicles that was actually worth throwing parts at (kind of like a 3rd gen). I had heard that the rear-drive 240/740/940 Volvos were the "last of the good ones" and that held true. My 850 Turbo (front wheel drive) was a POS and no matter how much I spent fixing things, other things would just break, creating a constant cycle. I couldn't take it anymore.

Our 3rd gen went from being our newest vehicle to our oldest, but I haven't done any work on it the past 8 years aside from replacing a transfer case output seal about 6 years ago. We bought a 100,000 mile warranty on the Acura and the LEAF has nothing to maintain. I can handle having one old vehicle to work on, but no more.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213