Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd gen love, 5th gen junk?

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
    I think most of GM's pushrod engines are pretty good. My dad's '94 Buick Regal with the 3.8 V6 has 300k on it, and it still runs pretty good. The overhead cam engines all seem to be junk though.
    Brother had same car, got it with 40k on it and it literally fell apart. He did have the 3.1L engine and blew 3 head gaskets (2nd time we went with a new head and 3rd time we junked it). Junked it at 160k, all sorts of things kept failing. The best was the passlock key system where you can start the car b/c it doesnt recognize the chip. Dad had a 97 and that fell apart too, aunt had a 98, same deal.

Im not a fan of GM cars, IDK how they build their trucks but somehow they hold up and drive nicer than the fords and dodges. We have an entire fleet of chevy/GMC 3/4 ton vans and trucks at work and no real issues.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
    I wish Toyota would just put the 4.5L twin turbo diesel from the 200 series LC in the Tundra.

Cummins in a Toyota sounds kinda funny, imho.
    I would love to see a Toyota Diesel Engine option before they partner with another company to put an engine in.
    Especially since this is a newer designed engine by Cummins and iirc the first "V" engine instead of an inline engine.
    It will be interesting to see how it will do, hopefully it won't be a flop like the ford 6.0 and 6.4...

And as far as GM is concerned I like a lot of the olds line.
    My stepdad grew up with the muscle car era of the Olds Cutlass, while he never had a 442 (which I would like to restore one for him as a retirement present) they were awesome.
    My experience with olds was the 95 Cutlass Supreme we had. It had the 3.1l V6. Which wasn't the greatest but it wasn't completely horrible.
    It bent a push rod at around 121k and blew the head gasket at 151k, other then that the car ran really strong, interior wise all it needed was a driver window switch and that was it. I miss that car lol

CJM, the "x engines" were all pretty bad, and those are the main exceptions to my thought that the GM pushrod engines are pretty good. My sister had a Oldsmobile with a 3.1, and she had a lot of trouble with it. The 2.8 in the S-10, etc, were notoriously bad as well. The 3.4s had common intake manifold gasket issues as well. We sold a lot of those gaskets when I worked at a Chevy dealership. Those gaskets, and the tail light circuit boards for the Silverados were what we sold the most of.

I wouldn't buy a new GM car (or Chrysler) either, but the new GMC trucks are pretty sweet.

Sorry, I'm going off topic here...
    Last edited by DHC6twinotter; 02-15-2014 at 09:48 AM.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Yea the old pushrod 350 and 4.3L are actually dang good engines. At work we have all 2500 chevys with the 6.0L and besides oil consumption on the 11, 12 and 13 we have (which is a known problem) nothing really has busted. the old pos 03 and 06 vans wont die lol. I still like the 350 better. Been looking for a clean 03-07 silverado mostly b/c I need a larger truck and the v8, but if I could find a clean older tundra Id be happy.

Is it worth holding out for the 05-06 tundras with the 5 speed and higher powered engine? I could live with the 4 speed but the extra 40+ hp is sweet.
    Last edited by CJM; 02-15-2014 at 08:11 PM.

I saw a limited drive by today. I am not a fan of the chrome bar across the front. Looks weird.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I must be the only one that likes the Limited models…lol. Actually, what I think would look pretty good is to use the limited bumper on a trail edition. Paint the chrome part black and trim up the bottom of the bumper a bit (limited bumper is much lower than SR5 and TE).

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Is it worth holding out for the 05-06 tundras with the 5 speed and higher powered engine? I could live with the 4 speed but the extra 40+ hp is sweet.
    I'd go with the '05 or '06.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I would agree on the blacked out chrome on the limited bumper.

I don't think I would worry all that much about the front bumper though, I would rip it off and put on something made of steel.

05 or 06 Tundras are nice! I specifically like the double cab with the drop down rear window.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post

05 or 06 Tundras are nice! I specifically like the double cab with the drop down rear window.
    I liked the dbl cabs, but heard some bad stories about problems with the back window. Plus I dont need 4 doors-I dont want to take people with me lol. Although I do wish the bed height of the x-cab was the same as the dbl cab.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I saw a limited drive by today. I am not a fan of the chrome bar across the front. Looks weird.
    I am with you on this Sean, I can not stand that chrome bar!

It's funny, I hated the front end on the 2010 when it came out, but in comparison to the horrendous 2014 front end, the 2010 is starting to look okay, haha.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast