Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman

Craftsman

I seen this mentioned on here or T4R, but when it was said I didn't realize it was in reference to their actual hand tools.

When did Craftsman start having their wrenches made in Taiwan!? I'm sure they still have their more expensive US made stuff, but looking at osme of the current sales I was thrown off... Nice looking tool kit for a real good price, then turns out it was made in Taiwan.. not the US stuff most people would expect from Craftsman.

As long as it gets the job done, and still has the lifetime warranty then I guess it isn't a big deal.. still not a nice surprise for someone that thought they were getting a US made product.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...ReviewsWrapper

Re: Crafsman

I rmemeber hearing that too, but for the price of a craftsmen I would rather hit up harbor freight...

I love my China made Pittsburgh wrenches from harbor freight and I use them all on a daily basis at work.

I refuse to buy most craftsmans tools as they are (as already stated) alot no longer made here and also CHEAP. The ratchets I have broken so much I gave up. I once returned a 1/4 drive ratchet 5x and finally gave up. Same stanley branded one is still going strong.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I bought a big ass 223 piece (or however many it was) Craftsman tool set years back. Probably 12 years ago now. And I gotta say, they have held up through it all. Especially the ratchets. I am not easy on my tools either. But yes, they have gone to crap. Everything aside from 'Craftsman Professional' from what I hear. And correct me if I'm wrong but the 'lifetime warranty' on Craftsman tools now only applies to the 'Professional' series.

If/when I have to replace it all, It would probably be with Stahlwille. Possibly Bahco. Good tools right there! Not cheap though....
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

^ hadnt heard about the warranty..

I started having issues with the ratchets when they swapped from the very large selector switch to the small metal ones. Several older ratchets I have are fine, but the ones with the small metal selectors the teeth or catch inside seems to break easier or something. I also had the poor etching rub off the sockets too. The older stuff is much better imho.

If I had to pick a ratchet id buy once and be happy forever, matco or SK. I hate snap ons cause you cant get the damn socket off with oily hands. Still touting my stanley/husky stuff, cant kill them it seems. I also like gear wrench, good stuff.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I think some of the Taiwan and China made tools still have limetime warranties. One set of Taiwanese made say 'General Warranty: Guaranteed forever' under the Specification section. Their warranty section states items not stated as having the lifetime warranty only have a 1 year warranty for handtools.

Luckily my metric Craftsman ratcheting wrenches are US made.

all of my craftsman hand tools are USA made.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: Craftsman

unless the actual wrench says Taiwan on it, I would defy some numbnuts at Sears to refuse to warranty it when I bring it in broken.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Thanks for fixing the typo, lol.

Navigator

I guess I'm glad I got my Craftsman stuff still made in USA... Things just aren't as they used to be. My ratchets are abused, and keep goin strong.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast