Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "New" 1932 Ford coupe

"New" 1932 Ford coupe

My dad is fulfilling a life-long dream of his to build a brand new classic car. When I was growing up my dad always had a project car in the garage and he built somewhere just under a dozen cars in his lifetime. As he put it, he was always "dragging junk out of junkyards" and trying to turn it into something nice. Now that he is retired and has the means, he is building something truly nice and 100% new, from the crate motor down to every single bolt that holds it all together.

I apologize all of the pics are crappy, I only seem to have my cel phone when I'm there, but I thought I would show some of the work anyway.

Here is a photo from Christmas of 2011 when it consisted of a frame and an engine.

The chassis has an all-independent suspension, which is a little more advanced that the leaf springs and solid axles it had from the factory.

The rear-end is a Ford 9" with LSD, inboard Wilwood disc brakes with 4 piston calipers in the rear and six piston in the front (to replace 4-wheel drum brakes in the original 1932 Ford). Exhaust is 304 stainless.

The engine is a 2012 Corvette LS3 e-rod engine, which means it has catalytic converters, OBD-II and meets 50-state emissions. It is rated at 430 hp.

And here is the replica body:

By April of 2012 it was starting to look like a car.

Re: "New" 1932 Ford coupe

Now this is where it starts to get exciting. As of today it is a few days from being started for the first time.

He had it painted maroon with black fenders, and no metallic in the paint, just like the cars from that era.

LED tail lights:

But to any motorhead, this is the key picture.

It has been really fun to watch this car come along, but it's really neat to see my father near completion on something he has wanted to do his entire life.

I love the IRS! I would like to do this sorta thing with a Model A pickup for my dad. wonder if they have the "new" model A's.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

You can buy kits to do just about anything you want. You can order a frame for the above car with solid axles front and rear, or upgrade to IFS in the front, or go with IFS/IRS. Try a google search for a Model A kit car.

Man that thing is coming along.

That is awesome! I would love to tackle a project car like this sometime.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

He is certainly having fun with it. He has commented several times that not having to scrape rust off each part before he works on it is the best part.

Sweet! That looks like it'll be a fun ride
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Thats awesome!
    Can't wait to see it completed and on the road,
    that will be a fun head turner for sure!

It is more likely that I drive one of the retired space shuttles than this car. I'm thinking he will keep it under close wraps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast