Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at a used car---probable cause / figure out the problems

Looking at a used car---probable cause / figure out the problems

Hi all,

Looking at this 2000 Rav4 for a friend (see jpg).

So good stuff:

- paint is good except 1 area where there's a dent and the paint flaked off (key point to my question)
    - interior is smoke free. seats are still in good shape. sorta dirty headliner but liveable
    - engine runs and pulls well...for a 2000 Rav4, that is

Bad stuff:
    - high speed steering wobble (above 55 mph)
    - high speed self-lane changing machine. at 65 mph, if i let go of the wheel, the car is in the next lane. perfectly fine in a neighborhood like GG (haha, if you're from the area you know what I mean---and I'm an Asian driver saying this!), but yeah, it pulls severely to the right
    - some scratches on the bumpers but liveable
    - the left front fender's panel was replaced. You can tell its a little off color than the rest of the vehicle.

So some things he admitted but didn't volunteer until I started driving it:

- He said that he did go to an alignment shop recently (I saw the report) and the car was out of alignment. Now everything is to spec (in green zone). He said that the alignment tech said that the front pass wheel is bent. I noted that there were NO weights on that wheel.
    - Also noted that the front tires are different than the 2 rear ones. My guess is that this seller probably went through tires like crazy, but that's busy an assumption at this point
    - When checking why he didn't try the rear spare, he said that that was bent too. Grrr. I did ask him if there was anything else. He didn't bring this one up.

Hence all you people: test drive and axe alot of questions.

So the price is really good but I'd not pay more than $4000 at this point. I'd say the likelihood that there was front end damage that was not repaired is med high. I say that because the front fender was replaced on one side and there appears to be head on front impact damage on the other front panel. coupled with newish front tires, I think that there might be this type of damage. Of note, the Carfax came out clean.

So i'm waffling on this one. The seller says its just a front rim issue. I told him I'd consider the vehicle if that were indeed the problem and that he fixed it. Then I'd recommend that my friend to buy it.

Any insights would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

eh, I don't know. I wouldn't bother if you think it has crash damage. A new wheel may set you back up to 100 dollars once you are all said and done with it, but is that really going to fix the problem?

if he fixes the wheel and it drives fine, then maybe.

Personally, I'd go find a CR-V from that same period. Ours (yes, 2) are bulletproof, even when heavily abused!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

shes not a big Honda fan. Had problems with them, she said.

Yah, finding the wheel he said was the problem. My guess it might be that he can't find a matching rim.

i dont think its worth it, bent wheels SCREAMS accident of some kind.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    i dont think its worth it, bent wheels SCREAMS accident of some kind.

yah, i think i'm gonna let this one go by

If he already took it to a shop he's already looking into fixing it or has fixed it some. If it still raises questions I'd walk. With pulling, vibration AND Marc saying pass I'd leave it. He knows a little something about pulling and vibration.

I would avoid it just for the simple fact that its a 2000....
    But with the other issues involved I would go running for the hills from it.

If your really looking for that Body style Rav4 Bob, shoot for a 04 or 05 model (personally 05, last year of that body style and all kinks worked out.)
    Came with the 2.4l (pretty much a reworked 2.0 but I can def tell a difference when I drive each)
    there is a manual AWD option as well if you can find it.

The only common problem on that body style is the rear shocks blow out quickly (at least stock Toyota) so I would just look out for that.

But as for this one again, I would walk

I think it's a good idea to pass.

I'm not sure if it's in your friend's price range, but Bugatti has a new Vitesse model out.

I would get that instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast