Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: uh-oh...ripped a hole in my floor

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    I haven't seen this before either. Could it possibly be the result of a vehicle accident? There are a lot of forces involved and it's a pretty hidden spot to be checked or notice anything wrong.
    I checked the carfax before I bought it and everything checked out. No reported accidents.

First time I noticed this was when I lifted my butt up to get my wallet out of my back pocket. I heard the seat pop. This action probably puts some stress on the back of the seat and forward bolts. I do this pretty often too, because I always forget to take my wallet out of my pocket. Some of the rough roads I've been on in the past few months probably haven't helped either. Saline Valley Rd in Death Valley was pretty rough.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
    Saline Valley Rd in Death Valley was pretty rough.
    Saline Valley Road is brutal--hours of washboard road that feels like it takes years of life off a truck. My 4Runner really should rattle like nobody's business; I'm not sure why it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
    I checked the carfax before I bought it and everything checked out. No reported accidents.

First time I noticed this was when I lifted my butt up to get my wallet out of my back pocket. I heard the seat pop. This action probably puts some stress on the back of the seat and forward bolts. I do this pretty often too, because I always forget to take my wallet out of my pocket. Some of the rough roads I've been on in the past few months probably haven't helped either. Saline Valley Rd in Death Valley was pretty rough.
    Leaning back like that does put a lot of stress on a seat. I've been in two ski boat's where the captains chair has broken off at the base making a similar move.

Yeah, I don't ever want to see that road again. I wasn't aware how bad that road is, and I was too frustrated with my slow pace to enjoy the scenery. Pretty sure I got airborne a few times there as well.

I lost the bolt for my battery tie down somewhere on the road. My battery ended up on top of the alternator and ripped the body ground out. oops.

Looking back, I don't know how I made it through without more damage. What a pain. I Passed the turnoff for lipincot (sp?), and the pile of broken u-joints and other random parts wasn't very comforting. I loved the drive from Saline Valley Rd to Teakettle Junction, and I wouldn't mind doing that again. I'd be curious to see if the 15 mile stretch of the south end of Saline Valley Rd down to 190 is any better.

My fog lights rattle, but that has been there since I bought the 4Runner. And I have a rattle from underneath somewhere. That's been there for a while, and I haven't been able to track it down. Might be a cat.

Anyways, I'm going to get some estimates tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Leaning back like that does put a lot of stress on a seat. I've been in two ski boat's where the captains chair has broken off at the base making a similar move.
    And me being a fat guy probably doesn't help.

My truck has seen Saline Valley Rd three times now and each time I swear I will never do it again. I boiled over my shocks and on the last trip I knew something was getting ready to fall off but I couldn't track it down. By the end of the trip I found that all of the bolts that hold the windshield washer reservoir in the fenderwell had come loose and the only thing that kept it in place was the crooked filler neck! Then I got home and the next day the truck wouldn't start. The battery didn't like all the vibes. So yeah, brutal. Maybe I should check my seat!

Soo, I had a response typed up and apparently it didn't post so here we go.
    This is now the 3rd instance I have seen myself of this happening.
    I am starting to think this might become a issue with the 3rd gens, especially the ones in the rust belt areas or that have high humidity, or it rains a lot.

My hypothesis as to why this is happening are a couple,
    1) When it rains feet get wet, when feet get wet, carpet tend to get wet. while I am sure Dan's carpet is nice and clean and has had a floor mat in it for some time, there is still the off chance someone could rest there foot near there. Carpet absorbs the moisture, rests on that spot, begins to rust.
    2) A/C evap drain can clog up, when this happens the evap box gets full of water and then eventually overflows onto the carpet and floor boards, usually this is contained to just the passenger side floor, but I have seen cases on really humid days where both driver and passenger side floors are soaked.

My buddy repaired his buy doing something similar to what Troy did.
    He patched up the whole then drilled a new one, cut a slot out to fit a nut and wrench in and tightened it down that way.

I have seen this before too.

The fix is to weld a nut to the back of a tab and weld that to the seat support bracket.

Childrenofbodom on t4r had the issue recently. It must be a mica green 4Runner thing.

Avy, I felt around the inside of the channel and there is no signs of any corrosion of the metal. No rough surfaces, bubbles, etc.

Ken, I like that fix! I have a feeling that may be a better option than replacing the whole piece.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

That's a plus if there is no other signs.

Ken, Its an Anthracite Metallic issue too :-P

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast