Thread: installing polly bushings in lover control arm

installing polly bushings in lover control arm

best how too I found
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-bushings.html

A couple tips though.

- clean the inner shaft better then the pictures in the link above. I even tryed to Polish up mine with some 1000 grit sandpaper.

- pull the joint apart as soon as the rubber melts enough. Then scrap the burning rubber off everything with something otherwise it will take forever to be consumed by the fire. In fact the fire will go out and you will have to scrape off a crust and light it again if you dont scrape it while it burns.
    -the bearing surface looks to be between the poly bushing and the outer shell of the A-arm. I thought it would spin on the inner shaft but its not looking that way since the bushing is pinched by the washers on each end. Keep this in mind so that you do a good job cleaning out the a-arm side since that becomes the bearing surface
    Edit: Called energy suspension and the guy assured me they are not soposed to do that. I assembled the next arm with minimal grease on the steel outer sleeve (inside the A-arm) and then greases the ends of the bushing where it rubs on the washers. What do ya know it works right now lol. I get to take apart the other arm and redue it joy!
    - I had all sorts of differnt experiences assembling the joints. Some seemed to go together better then others. some pressed eazy into the arms, some inner shafts pressed in nicely and some were eazy both ways. I dont know if it was due to freezing them or not. If you can get the inner shaft to go in easy I felt that would scape less grease out during installation. Again not sure if my frozen ones were best at that.
    Last edited by troyboy162; 08-01-2013 at 07:10 AM.

great link, troy. reminds me of my LCA misadventures:

one of the eccentric bolts on the passenger side LCA froze on me and i literally had to cut/shave it down in order to get the lca to drop. it was the most frustrating thing i've done on the 4runner to date. it is also the reason why the alignment shops all could not properly align my 4runner---though none of them *truthfully* bothered to explain that fact to me. hence, the last dealership i visited said they wanted to remove the arms entirely and replace them. turned out on mine, the lcas were still solid, no terribly play or anything. so the only thing remaining was to knock out that eccentric bolt. i went to a machine shop to have it done, the guy ended up doing it for free. i paid him with a few starbucks gift cards for him and his crew in the mail later though!

when i reinstalled my eccentric hardware, i slathered everything in marine grade grease. forget the specs, but i went to town on it. lord help me if i ever have to do this again.