Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not how I planned to spend my afternoon.

Not how I planned to spend my afternoon.

REALLY?! FRICKEN REALLY?!!!!!!!

I will have to say, looks like you fared much better than the scion!

So what's the damage? feeling ok?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I feel fine right now, we will see tomorrow or the next day though, that's usually when you start to feel it.

Here is a close up of the damage. Obviously the bumper is toast and the hatch has a dent. I had to drive off her car and you can clearly see missing paint where she went under the trailer hitch. The reason the hatch is dented is because her car crumpled so much it made contact with the hatch.

The trailer hitch is sitting closer to the spare tire than I remember, but as you can see here, there are four giant bolts per side that don't appear to have shifted at all, so I dunno.

Glad your okay at least!
    I shed a tear though when I saw the damage and in my mind I thought "Oh No, Not that 4Runner!"
    Things can be fixed, she will be looking pretty again soon!

What was the drivers excuse for this one? Just curious, my guess would be they were texting and didn't realize traffic stopped...

Hopefully, the spare tire shifted back.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    Glad your okay at least!
    I shed a tear though when I saw the damage and in my mind I thought "Oh No, Not that 4Runner!"
    Things can be fixed, she will be looking pretty again soon!
    Ha!

As soon as I heard the skidding and could clearly see I was going to get taken out, my first thought was "well, goodbye 4Runner." It wouldn't be so bad if the hatch weren't dented.

What was the drivers excuse for this one? Just curious, my guess would be they were texting and didn't realize traffic stopped...
    The CHP said there is no question that I am not at fault. I don't think she was texting but who knows.

Hopefully, the spare tire shifted back.
    I'm thinking that probably is what happened. The impact pushing my truck forward could have made the spare tire slide back. I can't see any evidence that the trailer hitch itself moved. I will be getting repair estimates today. This is lame, but I really don't want a custom rear bumper. Custom front, yes.

On the bright side you won't have to be driving around with the old water spotted bumper. I'm sure that was bugging you.

I was rear ended on the way to Sylvia's wedding in November while driving the Subaru. I was amazed at how little damage there was to the plastic bumper considering it was pushed from behind so hard. I was at about 50% brake pedal and was moved about 2 car lengths. Marin did more damage the other day in Rocklin than the car that hit did.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    That's a sketch piece of road right there. Bums on both sides, shadows, and a lot of cars flushing out of the city. I'm always watching my back through there even if it doesn't help.

Glad to hear you're okay.

I dropped it off this morning at a repair place. They will replace the bumper, work the steel on the hatch back into shape as best as possible and finish it off with as little filler as possible. I guess that's not so bad.

My hood has had some spots on it since I bought it, so they're going to spray my hood while it's there. Cost of that? $100.

Toyota apparently stopped making the black pearl emblems, so the guy is going to install new chrome ones and spray them black for me. I'm already out time having to deal with this, so the less I have to deal with to get it back to how it was, the better.

The guy who is doing the actual painting said that this generation 4Runner is one of his favorite vehicles and said he will make sure it is done perfectly. He may say that to everyone, but it did make me feel better.

My wife works for a biomechanical consulting firm, so within the week they will be evaluating the damage to both cars (based on photos) and calculate the forces involved in the accident. No intended uses for that info, other than "just because." They are currently finding out whether or not a 2000 4Runner has an EDR (Event Data Recorder).
    Last edited by paddlenbike; 08-23-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Bummer, sorry to hear about that Ken. At least it there were no serious injuries, though I suspect you might have wanted to strangle the person who hit you.

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

I seriously doubt you have a EDR. That is something pretty much reserved for the last 4 or 5 years.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast