Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Making Windows 8 less crappy

*shrugs* I like Windows 7.

^ Least helpful post ever, I realize.
    Last edited by 04 Rocko Taco; 06-04-2014 at 11:10 PM.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

It has been several years since I had and use Ubuntu. The only real reason I don't use it currently is because Solidworks does not work in Linux, even with Wine. The other, smaller reasons are best summed up by saying that the computer is now much less of a hobby and now just another tool. It just needs to work, and I don't want to spend any time fiddling with it to do work.

If you are willing to put in the time and energy into making Linux work for you, then I think you will be very happy with it.

Seriously though, like Chris said, I like Windows 7.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    The other, smaller reasons are best summed up by saying that the computer is now much less of a hobby and now just another tool.
    I have too many projects now, and owning Windows PCs have taken time out of my life that I would love to have back. But I do admit that my computer at work is Windows 7 and has worked fine, so I guess that's what I should do. To be completely honest, it kills me to hand another $100+ dollars to Microsoft and essentially reward them for producing horrible products, (when you consider I've bought two crappy Microsoft operating systems now and this would be the third), but it may be the simple answer for me. Thanks for the opinions.

Oh, here is a fun fact. If you buy Windows 8 Pro, it allows you to "upgrade" to Windows 7, which you can't do in the non-Pro version of Windows 8. And now Microsoft uses that as a selling point for Windows 8 Pro.
    Last edited by paddlenbike; 06-05-2014 at 07:57 AM.

Lol! Buy our pro and you can downgrade to the version that doesn't suck.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I run Linux mint personally but I also run win 7 and have zero problems. I do a fair amount of work on it but nothing graphics related. Mostly Office

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

My Dell laptop runs Windows 7, and so far, the software has not given me any issues. Very stable. The rest of the computer is complete crap though.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I don't know how much computer performance you guys need but if you understand hardware specs you can go to xoticpc.com and you can customize almost anything on their laptops. Pretty cool imo but its not cheap though. Cheaper than Mac but not cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Okay, wife isn't willing to wait any longer for a computer. I got a chance to use Ubuntu this weekend (yet another friend that just threw in the towel on Microsuck) and while I found it really refreshing, it's more fussing than I want at the moment. Windows 8 is completely out, so her first choice is a Windows 7 All-in-one and if we can't find that, we'll get a Mac.

We just converted our office to a baby room and did a built-in desk of sorts in our master bedroom, but the workspace is small, with the desk only 16" deep.

(Why yes, that is my Aston Martin DB9 in the picture, thanks for asking.)

So, we think a 21-24" all-in-one mounted to the wall would be ideal. We would like a well-built machine. ASUS makes a model called an ET2410 that has a VESA mount for mounting to the wall and also has inputs so if I had my own Mac Mini, I could still use the all-in-one as a monitor without having to have a second. ASUS advertises that this model is available with Windows 7 "or other editions available," but for the life of me can't find one online that isn't Windows 8 and I can't seem to find a place to custom order from ASUS. LINK Can anyone comment on ASUS quality?

I've been happy with their tablets and netbooks. Their laptops always rate well.

Its unfortunate the luck you have had with windows 8,

We have windows 8.1 on both our Lenovo's, one touch screen and one none and have gotten use to using windows 8 fast.
    I find myself using my old Lenovo with Windows 7 pro less (then again it needs a new battery and I am not sure I want to spend the money on it now that I have a new laptop).

My mini Desktop is running Windows 7 Pro still (it's an HP that needs a new power supply unfortunately, which it will be its second one...)

I didn't get a chance to re read the thread but was building your own PC not an option?
    My stepfather did that for himself and my mother and they are both running windows 7 pro.

I have been meaning to try out Ubuntu, but as Sean stated, most of our pcs are more tools then hobbies anymore....

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast