Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
I am planning on getting one soon! Did a lot of reading and given the fact that a lot of drivers lie and insurance companies do not want to pay out but gladly take your money every month. Only thing I am not clear on right now is the legality of having them on base (for obvious reasons) and I had to do a LOT of reading over heat tolerances of these devices given where I am stationed right now. It can easily clear 140 in my 4runner during a summer day and sometimes I would dare say it gets to 200. I have no proof of that higher number but it takes 5 minutes for my 4runner to get to a cool temperature in the front.

I found a lot of support for this little guy and this specific vendor from a few locations regarding heat resistance, bang for buck, and quality.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/131208541342?...84.m1423.l2649

After further reading it might just be something I have to take out of the 4runner unless I'm travelling out of nowhere. Seems even the $400 cams won't stand up to the heat 29 palms is known to have. That's fine with me. Most people on base are decent enough drivers (can't say the same when it comes to watching for a bicycle).

Thanks for turning me on to this. I thought the only cameras out there were the GoPro type deals that demand your first born so you can record you crashing on a bicycle lol.
I think the suction device would warp before the camera. I've had plenty of suction mounts give up the ghost from permanently being attached to the windshield. Hence, this clip on one seems like a better idea. We'll see how it works in practice.