Thread: 98 to 99 center radio console swap

98 to 99 center radio console swap

Hey guys,

Anyone done this? Do you need the air ducts from the 99 too? I'm guessing yes. And if that's the case, I don't have the ducts. Anyone have them?

I have partically done it (still need to do the wiring for the defrost switch.
    You do need the air ducts and I'm sorry but I do not have one :-(

Bob, I think Death Cougar might have what you're looking for. He's recently had a couple, three 3rd gens he's been parting out.

He is always parting out at least one, he is in the business. decent prices and a great guy to deal with, recommended.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Avy,

Is it more effort than what it's worth so far? And thanks for the head's up on the air ducts.

Mike & Sean: thanks. Is he on the forum?

I think he's checked in here before but I see him and his part outs on T4R. I think he's also on YT but they locked my account.

I recently purchased from him, 5 out of 5 stars.

Bob - think he is a mod or something over on YT.

He is here on the forum. Here is a 99 he parted out a couple of years ago, shoot him a PM.

http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthre...Runner-Limited
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Bob I have to find the write up, its worth it if your good with computer elctronics and soldering small circuit boards.
    For now I just have my defrost button mounted to the dash with double stick tape -_-

I've got a buddy that does computer stuff but I just seem to never have a chance to get up with him to get the job done.

Checking in to the thread!

I do part these out, though I no longer work at a wrecking yard. I currently have 6 for parts (2 '97 LTD, '98 SR5, 3 '00 SR5)

I don't currently have the radio bezel, but I do have the vents that connect to the top of the heater box.

You can find my threads on YT, and T4R
    Need that hard to find part? Nix99 Used Toyota and Lexus parts!

bob, not sure if you are still working on this, but i did this mod to my '98 way back when. sometimes i have to remind myself that it's not stock. i love it... looks way better than the old style. everything works as it is supposed to (window, hazard, defrost...). Only odd thing about mine is that I have an ETC button (with a 5spd). So I hooked it up to the ADD circuit to allow me to have "2-LO". I call the button 'electronically controlled transfercase.'

you do need to swap air ducts. the trickiest part is getting the defrost switch to work. i followed a writeup on YT on how to do the wiring/soldering. Not sure if the pictures are still around. I may have saved them somewhere... I can look around. IIRC, you have to open up the switch and do some soldering. it wasn't hard, but its not something i wouldve ever figured out on my own.

Not sure if you had any other specific questions... but IMO it is worth it. But it is almost purely costmetic since you already have the 99+ style center console with cupholders.
    Last edited by garrett; 03-20-2014 at 07:49 AM.