Thread: 3rd member nut torque, possible FSM mistake?

3rd member nut torque, possible FSM mistake?

FSM calls out for 73 Nm (54ftlb) torque for non elocker 3rd member. with the elocker, it calls for 25 Nm (18ftlb) for an elocked 3rd member.

I have a pretty bad leak, and 18 ftlb seems pretty low, especially compared to the non elocker rear. I am not sure why they would be at all different?

Can anyone help out with this?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Whats weird is I looked it up for your year and it says 20 ft lbs.
    I am going to see if different years bring different specs.

I looked up a 2003 Tacoma cause usually the information for the newer trucks is more accurate and it states its 18 ft lbs as per what you texted me earlier.

So I am somewhat curious now, for other years...

I went as far as 2012 on the Tacoma and it says 18 ft lbs for all.

Here is something interesting, I looked up the 2010 4Runner with the locker and the torque spec for a locked diff is 38ft lbs.

I think its safe to say, as we discussed, 30-40 ft lbs sounds about right.

Set mine to 35 ftlb. This is at the higher end of recommended torque for an M8 x 1.25, 10.9 bolt (or stud in this case).

I think the recommended 54 ftlb is a bit high, and 18 is very low.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.