Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fitting 15" steel rims on a 16" brake

I'm curious, what is your driveline situation?

Auto or manual, Stock case, regear diffs?

A buddy of mine has been running the recenter rims with tires on his IFS 1st gen for now.
    22re, Manual, Dual Cases, 5.29 gears locked f/r.
    He does surprisingly well down the highway (had trouble in the Runner keeping up with him at 75mph!) and awesome off road, he is currently doing a SAS (ifs was great an all but he got a deal on a SFA out of an 80 series).

I like the idea of a heavier weight rim/tire combo, I feel that helps keep the truck rubber side down

I'm auto so I have been putting off the duals for as long as I can. How long has your buddy been running that tire wheel combo? I'd sure like to run that set up some day. I priced out a set with the fancy pvc inserts once....but abandoned it when I figured out the weight. I think fitting them wouldnt be too horrible.

I can put my opinion in on the Hummer wheel setup. Really strong rims and tires and if you are close enough to a base that sells the old tires (but not used) you can get them for about 100 ea built. I will say they are heavier than hell though. Takes a lot to heave them around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I think they are just too heavy for our vehicles. I guess you could move down a brake size, but I wouldn't recommend that either.

I didn't think that the weld on bead locks were that hard to assemble. What set were you looking at?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Brakes are a hard topic. I dont need heavy braking for offroad, but at 35" I dont think the stock brakes can lock up anymore on the pavement. My truck still drives to on the highways up to 6 hours at a time, so I figured grinding was the best option. The Eaton bead locks might not even work with the Tacoma 15" brake components.

The weld on bead locks would be quite a chore i'd think. I figure a day to weld up and a half day to assemble with a couple weeks of chasing pin hole leaks lol. I wanted that extra bead security, but will revisit it next time I pop a bead off. Hopefully I stay on my once every 5 years frequency lol. I wanted some 3/16 modest rings for weight savings and the fact that my truck will never beat a wheel like a hammers buggy. all the The weld on options will be a bit heavier then the eatons, but also stronger.
    Last edited by troyboy162; 04-11-2014 at 10:12 AM.

knock on wood, but I've never blown a bead. I also don't go super low pressure either.

I know the price is not low, but what about an internal beadlock?
    http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/ST...=STNCEB15710-4

Spendy, but an option I suppose.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 04-11-2014 at 10:14 AM.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I researched those once and they didnt seem fool proof. The price isnt horrible considering they are reusable and are a sudo inside and outside bead lock. I cant remember why they haven't taken off in popularity, but I think I remember there were a few short comings. One of course is its only a few PSI holding the bead vs mechanically clamping the bead.
    I'll test a set out when Stuans send me some

oh and also I have procomp 98 wheels coming. They are the new version of the 97 wheels. I expect they will fit the same as my series 51 test wheel in that they will require grinding. the 98 may possibly require less grinding since the series 51 is documented as not even fitting in the 16" flavor without a spacer.

Its all in how they taper. There will always be some grinding on a 15" 3.75 BS steel wheel over 16" 4runner brakes. There is no magical rim out there that will fit because I am grinding to fit the area where the inside bead is. That is a spot that will remain constant regardless of taper/design/materials. There is confusion out there since tacomas came with smaller (then ours) calipers and 16" rims until 2001ish. I have no idea how that works out for them, but our 16" caliper is the same from 1996 till 2002.
    Last edited by troyboy162; 06-13-2014 at 02:39 AM.

What's the plan for the 16's you bought from me? I'm looking around at alloys again, I think I've had it with my steel wheels. I'm still trying to track down that vibration.

I'm going to try to sell them as a mounted 35" set. The front tires arent worth much but I figure all together I can get something for it. You are welcome to come try them out for a day or something to see if its your tire/rims giving problems. It may be a long time before the 15" are mounted though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast