Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Missing coolant (aka, well crap...)

Quick question, you said the truck has 110k on it, have you done a timing belt and water pump on it yet?

In my time at Toyota, doing timing belts, majority of the time during disassembly I would find the water pump leaking, usually 9 time out of 10.

On the 3.4l it is really hard to see because the fan pulley being right there.
    When I first got the truck I always had a slow leak but didn't think anything of it cause it wasn't overheating or running well just as you described, when it finally came time to do the belt, during disassembly I found that my pump had definitely been the cause for the slow leak.

Keep and eye on it and see if it persist.

When I did my timing belt I ran into an interesting issue: The spring loaded hose clamps dont seal all to well if you put new hoses on and clean up everything. The t-belt had last been done about 120k ago and I guess the corrosion and whatnot had made it seal. once i did the job it leaked at the rad and the engine. Replaced the clamps with screw on clamps, no more leaks.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Avi and others, regarding the water pump. Does a factory water pump say Toyota or have a part number on it? I was deep in the front of my engine for some time today messing with the belt and the fan. I think that maybe my water pump has been replaced and I was wondering if I can tell if it was a factory part.

On my radiator support there is a sticker that says the timing belt was done at 59,xxx miles. Six years ago when I was looking to buy a 4Runner it was extremely common to pop the hood and find one of those stickers. I think the dealerships just had a roll of stickers and put it on there. Why else would the timing belt be done so early.

Service interval for "severe conditions" is 90k miles for the timing belt. Basically, towing, driving in hot conditions, offroad, etc, etc.

I have always considered it to be 60k, especially in hot and dry SoCal. I don't even see a listing of recommended time to replace timing belt for "normal" conditions.

Being a non-interference engine, the timing belt is not as critical as it is on an interference engine. That being said, it is not worth the hassle of being stranded for $300 in parts.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

IIRC, my water pump says Aisin on it, but not 100% sure. I'll have a look tomorrow when it's daylight.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
    IIRC, my water pump says Aisin on it, but not 100% sure. I'll have a look tomorrow when it's daylight.
    I got mine from the ebay seller with the t-belt kits and mine says Aisin on it.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    Quick question, you said the truck has 110k on it, have you done a timing belt and water pump on it yet?

In my time at Toyota, doing timing belts, majority of the time during disassembly I would find the water pump leaking, usually 9 time out of 10.

On the 3.4l it is really hard to see because the fan pulley being right there.
    When I first got the truck I always had a slow leak but didn't think anything of it cause it wasn't overheating or running well just as you described, when it finally came time to do the belt, during disassembly I found that my pump had definitely been the cause for the slow leak.

Keep and eye on it and see if it persist.
    As far as I know the timing belt has never been done so it is definitely overdue and on the list of things to take care of, but I haven't had time yet. I might just break down and have a shop do it since my plate is full of house remodeling projects.

It does appear that something is leaking a small amount of coolant from the front driver's side of the engine down onto the top of the oil pan, which could possible be the water pump. That would make a lot of sense.

Anybody in the Bay Area know of a good shop where I could get the timing belt done? Preferably in the East Bay?

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

I can't remember exactly what was on it.
    I don't think a part number is but I believe Aisin is printed on it.

Also while you are at it, iirc there is a small rubber hose that connects to the side of the water pump, for you Cali guys with the dry heat you might want to get it replaced.

I took the 4Runner on a ~250mi trip this weekend and it did fine, no apparent coolant loss. My guess is I have a very slow leak on the water pump so I'll keep an eye on the coolant level until I change out the timing belt and the water pump.

Later this year we're taking the truck on a week long trip around Oregon so I've got some other preventive maintenance to do for that trip. LBJs (already bought), O2 sensors, and engine/trans/diff fluids. I might also look into swapping out the clutch because I'd like to not have to deal with the heavy clutch issue for an entire week.

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

I used to go to autotron in Pleasanton. They offered to evacuate my R12 while I worked on my AC over the weekend, then they ended up adding some more for free.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast