I was talking to a buddy at work about this next mod/idea and he thought I should weld the bracket onto the housing itself. I was going to follow this thread more or less and actually run the parking brake since my truck is a DD.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...on-pt-1-a.html

Seems like he had a solid setup but I did not like the idea of washers in a final install. I was going to tack another 1/4" or 3/8" plate beside the 1/4 and grind it down to where it was spaced correctly without the use of washers.

Lots of guys that have trail rigs just use pre-made brackets but they all use brakes designed for a much heavier vehicle whereas mine is almost stock.

So my idea (since I have a non-abs axle) is to weld a 3/8" bracket directly to the housing with gussets to support the force the caliper places on the bracket. This should be safer and more effective. In addition after looking at the original caliper mounts on the Mustang GT this welded bracket should mimic the mount fairly well.

Another thing that I noticed is that from a fat thumb observation the fact that I need to leave room for the nuts to be removed in the future should place the bracket in almost the perfect location to be a shimless bracket.

Like the OP from 4runner.org I went with Mustang GT calipers ($40 out of the salvage yard) and I just scored Brembo 25200 94 Montero Rotors for $39 for the set.....and free shipping. So financially I'm doing fairly well. Here are some pics just to give a reference.

My non-abs axle (which for once will make things easier)

My mustang GT calipers with Toyota steel brake lines already installed (they were a perfect fit on the banjo fitting)

Thoughts and/or comments? I will be primarily be working on the Monstaliner still for the rest of the week but I have a spare housing to which I can test fit the bracket to the housing so that when I go to install the calipers I simply line them up and drill the holes.