Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Rear Disc Conversion Question

Does the company that offered the bracket and fan pulley even in business anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    Does the company that offered the bracket and fan pulley even in business anymore?
    Not sure but I found this

http://shop.illusivefabrications.com...nting-bracket/

This is adjustable and for 15 bucks I hardly think it is a huge expense. From what I have seen with the brackets mounted on the 3rz this is a big part of the mounting process.

This is where I saw the best pics for a bracket. I asked him if he had some of just the bracket. The only problem with his build being that he eliminated the belt driven fan and had extra clearance to put another belt outside of the normal setup.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...35s-ifs-4.html

This member over on yotatech has the best idea for getting a v-belt on a serpentine system. I am fairly certain I could make this happen although I gotta say the pulley would kind of sketch me out. Don't those things rotate on a 1 to 1 ratio with the crank?

http://www.yotatech.com/f2/york-oba-3rz-c-261522/

In addition according to pirate 4x4 there are several threads that aren't too kind towards a certain manufacturer but that a 6 rib serpentine belt clutch can be found with several fleet truck part stores. I am currently searching to see if I can find a 4 rib solution but I think I would have to install another idler pulley in order to give my a/c compressor and the york enough wrap to get some grip.

There was also an idea that basically I find a power steering pulley (which is a similar size) and have it machined to fit over the v belt on the york. Then all I have to do is weld it in place.

The details surrounding all of this are certainly daunting but one good thing about having to save money for every project is that you have enough time to work out some kinks before you make mistakes with cash.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 07-07-2014 at 06:21 PM.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Read something interesting and it would be pretty awesome if true. With a serpentine belt as long as you have enough ribs there can be extra ribs on the pulley?

Because I found this.

http://www.truckerac.com/tcci-clutch...c--020804.html
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 07-07-2014 at 06:41 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Your first link is similar to what Sean has. What Sean has is that plus more. Cut it up and it's probably all the steel you need for the entire mount.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Your first link is similar to what Sean has. What Sean has is that plus more. Cut it up and it's probably all the steel you need for the entire mount.
    That sounds like a good deal then. I could pick it up whenever I pick up the harness for the locker.

Does anyone know how much contact a pulley needs on a compressor? I could add the york onto the my current a/c belt and it would look almost stock....kinda.

Finger painting with a cell phone lol. Who would have thought.

A little closer so you can see the belts better and why I am asking about how much wrap for the pulleys. I am once again on complete unknown territory lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I'll look it up when I get home, but I think you want at least 1/4 circumference. Depends of course on load, tension, width of belt, etc. Since more than one is unknown, you'll have to guess.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I'm not sure about the 2.7 but I'd think about using your alternator. Use a combo pulley: http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/pulleys.htm

This will allow you to retain all your stock belt configuration and their systems. The combo pulley gives you a v groove to work off of. With a combo pulley, a tension pulley and the York pulley you're in business. Kind of like this (not mine):

This is mine, I've got about 1/2 wrap.

Re: Rear Disc Conversion Question

Those installs look great! Unfortunately on the driver side I have my power steering. There might be room for it over there but it would be really tight. I will look into it though. If I could make a custom combo mount for the power steering and the york that might work. I took a pic just for reference but pics don't really help in situations as this. They don't quite capture the full effect (or I don't have the talent to do so) of what space is or isn't there.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Krypto, any time you want to pick up the harness, let me know. Give me a day or two heads up, and I'm usually home by 1730.

As for the belt:

Shigleys doesn't have a ton of info on contact area. At least that would apply to a garage mechanic. I haven't checked Machinist handbook (didn't have time at work today, 10 hour days in the shop suck).

What I am seeing though is probably 1/3 the pulley needs to be in good contact with the belt. That's a contact angle of 120 degrees. Less contact angle means more belt tension, shorter bearing life, shorter belt life, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt_%28mechanical%29
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I'm sure this will in no way be accurate but I think this might be the best way to run the belt since I believe the driver side is out of the question. Best part is though I can re-use a tensioner pulley and increase wrap on the two compressors as long as I can somehow mount it in line. Here's my original belt configuration.

Here's what I have as a solution to adding the york and ending up possibly without enough wrap on the pulleys.

At least that's the idea lol. Not sure why it came out like that....but it was a lot bigger when I was editing it.

Also on coming down to get the harness. I will definitely let you know a couple days out at least. I will have to plan it a couple of days out as well. Right now I have no firm date but I will shoot for around the 19th or 20th if that's ok with you. It's the only time that I can get off of work while we are training. Otherwise it will be over by the end of August and I will have much more flexibility as to when I can cruise down the hill.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 07-08-2014 at 07:37 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast