Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct battery size for 1996 - 2002 4Runners (V6) can be either Group 35 or 24F

Correct battery size for 1996 - 2002 4Runners (V6) can be either Group 35 or 24F

Hi guys,

I had a shop do some suspension trouble shooting in April because quite frankly, I couldn't find it. I also asked them to bleed the master cylinder and brake fluid. Last thing I asked for was a battery replacement.

Well lo and behold today I was poking around and noticed a big f'g crack in the positive battery lug. i couldn't figure out why until I replaced it with a new lug. Turns out that the mechanic bashed the fawk out of the lug in a downward direction because the wiring to the lug itself was off by about 1/4". Why may you ask? Because the jackass mechanic installed the wrong size battery. In the Toyota replacement manual for its vehicles, there are two possible sizes listed to fit. One is Group 24F and the other is Group 35. 35 is the correct one. I say again, Group 35 is the correct size.

A 24F is 9 1/8" whereas the 35 is 8 7/8 = the difference in height is a 1/4". That might not sound like a lot, but it is. It means the difference between two parts fitting perfectly or some hack mechanic beating the shit out of the battery lug to make things fit. I wonder what abuse the terminal took in the process.

Anyways, there's my rant and tip for the day. And this reminds me that even though i make a little more and sometimes get lazy about doing my own work...well there's a reason why we do our own work: we don't cut bullshit corners like this. And I thought this mechanic was one of the good guys.

EDIT: I've edited the title of this thread to reflect new information on 35 vs 24F. Also note that I went with the 35 because of an aftermarket battery lug.

Actually no Bob, its an OPTION for the 4cylinder. Every 6 cylinders get the 24F. How do I know this you ask? Ive been changing batteries for AAA for years on every make/model imaginable and factory panasonic batts from toyota are 24F if you have the 6 cylinder. Sounds to me someone butchered the battery terminal b/c they couldnt be assed to loosen it enough so they pounded it on. OR its worn out and they did that. Generally speaking 35 is an option and MIGHT come in a stripped down base model but a 24F will come in almost everything else.

Pics?

Also most group 35 series batteries are rated maybe 500-650 cca (most being 550). But a 24F/34R is rated to 650-700cca and most of the time if you check one it will be around 800cca.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

That's why my battery won't die I reckon! Pretty sure I have a 24f. About a year ago jiffy lube had to do my oil and they said I had a cell out. I am still using the same battery and I live out in the Mojave desert area of so cal.

I also have a 4cyl.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

If they said you have a bad cell its possible all they did was look at the eye in the battery it doesnt tell much and is often wrong. I have a midtronics battery tester (same one used in a dealer) and Ive seen plenty of bad ones with a good eye and plenty of good ones with a bad eye.

Hmm I dunno then. It's an interstate and it was in the 4runner when I bought it in 2010. Hasn't missed a beat yet and I know the desert is supposed to be hell on batteries so I am counting myself fortunate.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Actually no Bob, its an OPTION for the 4cylinder. Every 6 cylinders get the 24F. How do I know this you ask? Ive been changing batteries for AAA for years on every make/model imaginable and factory panasonic batts from toyota are 24F if you have the 6 cylinder. Sounds to me someone butchered the battery terminal b/c they couldnt be assed to loosen it enough so they pounded it on. OR its worn out and they did that. Generally speaking 35 is an option and MIGHT come in a stripped down base model but a 24F will come in almost everything else.

Pics?

Also most group 35 series batteries are rated maybe 500-650 cca (most being 550). But a 24F/34R is rated to 650-700cca and most of the time if you check one it will be around 800cca.
    CJM,

Here's the charts that I referenced from TOYOTA's website.
    Attached Images Attached Images

here's pics of the gap caused by the taller battery group 24F...and here's a gratuitous pic of a monkey
    Attached Images Attached Images

Correct battery size for 1996 - 2002 4Runners (V6) is group 35

All makes sense now it's an aftermarket terminal end. My stocker fits fine as do the stock ones on the 24f.

I see the charts and honestly I've never see the 27f in anything but the land cruisers and the newer Tacoma 05+ and tundras. almost every Toyota car and truck I see has a 24f in it tho. Some do have a 35 but a 24f also fits

Id look to swap the terminal end out for a marine type one with the wing nut ad stud. Should work with both group sizes then.

Btw interstate and eastern pen aka deka are good batts run away from exide all they ever do is leech acid like crazy. Junk! I run a deka 124r in mine only cause we were outta 24f. It's a half inch shorter but same as 24f
    Last edited by CJM; 06-24-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Bob, While I was at the dealer, if I had a 3rd Gen 4Runner or 2nd Gen Taco, I was putting in a 24f.
    I have a 24f in the 4Runner and the Camry right now, I think the better half's matrix has a 35.

I need to put on different ends like Marc was suggesting.
    The Toyota ones are junk, and the cheap aftermarket ones have cracked on me twice now.

I use a positive connector from knukonceptz.com and it has served me well. Also allows for extra large Guage wire to be connected to the battery. Here's a pic.

I have 0ga on one side and in that pic it is 10ga but currently I have 4ga where the 10ga is. I just don't want to go outside again. Hotter than hell today and we just started monsoon season here in 29 palms.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast