Thread: What is the current state of your 4Runner?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mine hasn't changed much modification wise recently, but I'm currently in Oregon in the middle of a road trip so I have done a lot of maintenance recently.

- New O2 sensors (refer to my comments in a different thread cursing the location of the plug for the front one)
    - New lower ball joints
    - New outer tie rod ends
    - Alignment
    - Tires balanced
    - New u-joint in the rear driveshaft
    - Used (50%+ tread) 265/75/16 BFG AT for the spare tire ($35 mounted!)

Oh, and can't forget the new factory rear wiper blade.

A couple of days ago the truck rolled 110k miles which was exciting.

Overall the truck is doing great and my wife and I plan to keep it for a long time. There are two issues I want to resolve though.

1) My clutch is still very heavy. I flushed clutch fluid which didn't help, and I adjusted the clutch pedal which also didn't help. A local mechanic thinks someone installed an aftermarket clutch at some point, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I think the clutch is old and either something is sticking or the pressure plate has an issue.

2) My tires are howling and I've got some weird vibrations. I had been trying to track down a vibration at ~60mph which was the reason for many of the changes listed above. I thought I had it fixed, but now it is back. Also, when the tires were balanced they rotated them and my Maxxis Bighorns are now really loud and annoying. I think the vibration is partly the tread of the tires wearing, and mostly that nobody seems to understand the difference between lug centric and hub centric when balancing the tires. I'm seriously thinking of going to an aggressive AT instead of the MTs I have now.

Other than the above, everything is great. Like Ken I am strongly considering installing a new headunit with modern features.

- Matt
    Last edited by slomatt; 07-01-2014 at 11:47 PM.
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO