Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's Roll and Rebuild

pulling the filler neck boot allows me a bit more access to pull on the panel. I might invest in the air bags to help bring it back to shape.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

IF you do decided to do the cut and weld path, try to get every nook and cranny covered in paint, I have the limited flares to cover the spot with what is probably going to end up being a shitty repair when I finally get around to it (working on getting a place to work inside) the place where i got the work done has one of those guarantee as long as you own the vehicle but after they screwed me over on the bump rear axle they put in I really don't want to deal with them, plus i am sure they wuld use some excuse like "Well you off road it so that damage isn't really our fault"

I bought a football (thanks Chris!) to stuff in there to see if I can persuade it to move out a bit. Again, not going for perfect, just going for decent. It is impossible to get to the back of the panel, in some places there are at least 2 other panels behind it.

Removing that panel is really not going to happen. It would be far too much work. I will be cutting the wheel well on the passenger side as it folded in the accident. I'll probably try to save a much metal as possible and just do a small patch after everything gets straightened out.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Driver's corner panel is actually coming along. Half or 2/3 of it is actually pretty good now. The spot between the tail light and the filler door, plus the D pillar are still pretty nasty. I might drill out the spot welds in the D pillar under the rear hatch and pull it out a bit to better match the profile of the hatch. I can't open the rear door right now, so I will have to wait until I can push it forward in the garage. I will update this with pics when I finish up.

Another Sharpie shot, this time an "after"

The panel gap is "better" but still too "1970's American Car"

Panel is no longer concave, but still not the proper convex shape

Last edited by Seanz0rz; 12-13-2014 at 07:20 PM.

What a huge improvement though Sean! What is the process for pulling the dents? (Clearly I have never done bodywork.)

Since I have no access to the back side, it's 100% stud welder. I use a blue strip wheel on my grinder to remove the paint, then the stud welder to weld a copper stud to the metal. You have to be careful to not burn thru the panel.

Attach the slide hammer and pull out the dent. Obviously there is a bit more to it than that. You try to place them in the right place to do the most work. To remove, clip them off with some diagonal cutters and grind flat. Sometimes you have to tap the high spot back down.

I also used a football to squeeze in between the inner and outer panels to push it out. Not perfect but it did work great in a few spots. I'll take some more pics of tools and techniques tomorrow.

I think I will do one more day of hammering on it then call it good enough.

I am nothing short of amazed with the work you have done!! Definitely can't wait to see what it looks like in person.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

You are going to have to carry a picture of the roll over around with you since no one will believe its been shiny side down.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    You are going to have to carry a picture of the roll over around with you since no one will believe its been shiny side down.
    Seriously, that's some good work. Thanks for the explanation.

Great work Sean! I'd hire you if you were closer to get some dents out of my Camry lol!

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast