Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's Roll and Rebuild

Thanks Bob. What brand did you use?

I am trying to figure out how to seal up the roof properly. I am not sure I can do a full weld.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Something of a productive holiday. Yesterday I got the roof just about as close as it's going to get. Couple of spots need some more love, but overall I am very happy with it.

I lost count at 80 studs, but it wasn't much more.

Passenger side A pillar:

What the inside of that panel looks like:

You can see I have already drilled out the spot welds here.

Not bad for a HF tool:

So a few things. I need to do something about the bare metal on the inside of the panel. I want it to last at least another 5 years before rusting thru. I will probably spray some Rustoleum in there and call it good.

Tomorrow night I'll have to figure out a way to straighten that inner structure. Not sure how to do that, but it doesn't have to be perfect (and will be far from it!). I also might add some material to possibly reinforce the area.

I also finally got the fixed tire and wheel back on, so she is now no longer supported by a jack stand.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I'm sure she's looking rather scarred from all of the stud welds but give us a profile shot! I would love to see what the whole rig looks like.

I am sure there are imperfections but if it passes the 10ft rule you have done very well. Plus I am sure when you go through with the monstaliner it will hide even more. It ends up being rather thick stuff and if you end up spraying you can easily fill in a tad.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 01-01-2015 at 08:35 PM.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

You asked and shall receive.

The area above the windshield on the left side that looks bumpy, is. It looks worse in pics for a number of reasons, but that will be smoothed out by bondo, and should actually look pretty decent when it's all done.

I will probably pull the fender again to get it to fit a bit better and paint the edges I didn't realize were visible when the door is open. Won't be too bad.

I am starting to look at seam sealers, body fillers, etc. I will be ordering those within the next week, and probably order my monstaliner a week later.

I don't feel much like working on it today. I will probably start working on an electrical outline. My buddy is working on getting me OEM style waterproof connectors to use on the the new electrical system, so that will be nice. I have another roll of LED's coming in next week some time for a cool little project once I get it all put back together. I might also use them for rock lights.

You're right about the bondo but for the most part it looks really good!

For electrical connectors I use waytek wire. They have the Weatherpack connectors which are really nice. I used the amazon ones on all of my lighting connections.

These are the ones I used. They aren't bad for China made. I will be using the actual Weatherpack connectors in the future though.

http://www.amazon.com/Pins-Waterproo...ds=weatherpack

Actual Weatherpack connectors

http://www.amazon.com/JEGS-Performan...ds=weatherpack
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Don't feel bad about your alignment issues, even professionals couldn't get it right and I think you have done a much better job then when I got broad sided:

also they used bono on a pinch weld instead of actually welding and least you pulled out the welder :-)

Hey, I haven't welded it yet!!!

I am still debating on how to attach the sun roof patch. I was going to flange it down but now I am thinking just basically setting it on top and welding around it, sealing the crap out of it and calling it done. One is 4 days of work, the other is 1-2.

Krypto, That first link is for an AMP/TYCO connector. Not the same as Weatherpack, but I actually like them better. The ones I am getting look nearly identical to the Toyota OEM connectors. I don't think a Toyota mechanic would be able to tell the difference, except they are black instead of gray. They might even be compatible.

Weatherpack connectors are great. I used them on my roof rack. My only issue with them the size. They are pretty large for connecting 4 wires. They can also get $$$ quick.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 01-03-2015 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Hey, I haven't welded it yet!!!

I am still debating on how to attach the sun roof patch. I was going to flange it down but now I am thinking just basically setting it on top and welding around it, sealing the crap out of it and calling it done. One is 4 days of work, the other is 1-2.
    My vote is for welding it. Easier and it will reinforce the roof where the sunroof used to be.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Either way it is getting welded, just the difference being a pan that fits down into the hole and is flush with the roof, welded around the original opening or a flat sheet that is welded over the top of the hole.

Doing the flange is the right way to do it, but I feel sorta lazy.

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast