Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's Roll and Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Either way it is getting welded, just the difference being a pan that fits down into the hole and is flush with the roof, welded around the original opening or a flat sheet that is welded over the top of the hole.

Doing the flange is the right way to do it, but I feel sorta lazy.
    Gotcha didn't quite read into that far enough. With as much effort as you've put into the truck thus far I would say doing the flange would be what you want to do. I have a feeling if you shortcut it once the paint is on and you look at it the panel will be what sticks out.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

So the roof is welded up!

I started by marking the panel in the center of the opening, so I could cut small flanges and fold them down.

I quickly found out that folding down a flange wasn't going to happen, so I went to plan B: cut a panel to fit in and weld it flush in the hole.

Some of it moved while being tacked and wasn't exactly flush. It's fine though.

All welded up:

Fugly welds:

Some more of those pics everyone is asking for:

2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Sean,

Make sure when you tack weld, start from one end and then tack the other side. In the case of that roof panel, i'd do all the opposite corners first (4), then the centers of all 4 sides, and then repeat. Tacking one side only will pull and shrink the metal on the side you're putting too much tacks on.

Forgive me if thats what you were doing already :P

It's fully welded now, but yes, that's what I did.

Next weekend I'll grind it all down and seam seal it.

I need a new battery for the truck too, my current one will not even charge any more. Bought it in early 09, so it's time. I'm going bigger this time, even if I have to make a special bracket for it.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Looks like it's really coming along. I assume you gutted the tracks and what not that went with the old glass?

What are the plans as far as a headliner? I know the sunroof and non-sunroof versions are quite different. I think there are two sunroof types as well.

A non sunroof model will gain you more head room in the cab and leave you more room to work with for your gear loft.

All of the sunroof stuff was trashed. Just about everything was broken or bent beyond recognition.I saved the motor to be sold on eBay soon. The tray was a fiber reinforced plastic and cracked pretty bad. I might have pics of it.

I will be looking for a non sunroof headliner and hope it fits. I'll be adding some reinforcement to the roof too. Next weekend should be the last of the roof work, including that inner structure, and getting it all sealed up. Once I finish all the prep prior to the monstaliner, I can get a new windshield. Once that happens she's street legal again. It might be awhile until I do the monstaliner, waiting for the temps to rise a bit. We will see how it goes. Ideally by the end of Feb. The 4runner will be almost complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    All of the sunroof stuff was trashed. Just about everything was broken or bent beyond recognition.I saved the motor to be sold on eBay soon. The tray was a fiber reinforced plastic and cracked pretty bad. I might have pics of it.

I will be looking for a non sunroof headliner and hope it fits. I'll be adding some reinforcement to the roof too. Next weekend should be the last of the roof work, including that inner structure, and getting it all sealed up. Once I finish all the prep prior to the monstaliner, I can get a new windshield. Once that happens she's street legal again. It might be awhile until I do the monstaliner, waiting for the temps to rise a bit. We will see how it goes. Ideally by the end of Feb. The 4runner will be almost complete.
    Just make your overhead console that big!...but seriously please don't. Looks good though. You going to have it all painted up by mojave?

If you don't have a favorite battery I run interstate and I haven't had to get a new battery out here in the desert since I got here. That's been since 2010 running in 120 deg weather and getting run every day.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 01-04-2015 at 08:39 PM.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Looks great, Sean! I'm amazed at the amount of work you have done with this. Looks really good!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Looks awesome Sean!

How do you plan to support the roof more?

Also on battery, the new taco and 4Runners run a bigger battery, I believe its a 27 series battery instead of the 24 that normally is in the truck.

I have some ideas I want to play with. Might cut up my old driver's door for some steel to reinforce it.

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast